Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I would imagine it's like any other endeavor...
There are core groups involved more or less professionally,
and there are avid hobbyists and casual hobbyists.

I began using detectors as a tool for my mining operation.
That particular endeavor would have required a significant capital influx to be profitable.
Since that time I've done it more or less as a recreational hobbyist.

There are so many options involved with metal detectors, no telling when the next phase will be underway.
If it is not, now.

Best
rmptr

discovery_bound

Feb 4, 2008
South Dakota, B&R in Montana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
I'd say that MD'ing is far from a fad.......

FAD : noun, a temporary fashion, notion, manner of conduct, etc., esp. one followed enthusiastically by a group
: n. A fashion that is taken up with great enthusiasm for a brief period of time; a craze.

I'd classify it as a true hobby, especially when one thinks of how long it's really been around. Nothing temporary about it, except for maybe the people who don't understand the patience it deserves and tend to give up within a month. When I think of fads, a few come to mind....for example:

Zuba's (MC Hammer pants), big hair bands, spandex shorts, garbage pail kids trading cards/stickers, tie-dye shirts, and fanny-packs.

Just my thought, take it as you will.......

But I guess MD'ing could very well have started as a fad..............hhhmmmmmm :-\

DB

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
I can remember wanting a detector out of the comic books I'm 56 now. Not a fad. Hula Hoops and those rubber balls that bounced to the moon were fads. Super Balls!

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Yah, it wsn't created as a fad.

Gerhard fischer built a locating device after Bell searched for that bullet.

Oct 2, 2008
HamburgAR
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 Old Folks Knowledge
Yes, it's a fad, and I predict that all of you will stop detecting very, very soon, and leave all of the good stuff for me.
I plan on detecting for years to come.
I did notice that not long after I bought my metal detector, I started seeing advertisements on TV for White's Metal Detectors. I guess it could be because I wasn't looking for them before, but I think I would have noticed them, because treasure hunting has always been in my blood. Don't recall EVER seeing comercials on TV for metal detectors
Off topic, but while I was in jail for 2 years, I thought a lot about places to go find gem stones in other countries, got out of jail and started watching Cash & Treasures, researched the show, stumbled upon this site a n d b o u g h t a m e t a l d e t e c t o r .

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
whatching mel fisherbring up loot from the atocha done me in i had to get me a machine and a good one before that i was gonna try and sell the grit paper so i could win one from the list of prizes can any one tell me what kind of machine it was just curious what it was.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
1996 said:
Off topic, but while I was in jail for 2 years, I thought a lot about places to go find gem stones in other countries, got out of jail and started watching Cash & Treasures, researched the show, stumbled upon this site a n d b o u g h t a m e t a l d e t e c t o r .

A deceased famous treasure hunter spent some time in a federal pen in
New Mexico on what he said was a frame-up making him a scapegoat
for a massive fraud that someone else did. Regardless of his guilt or
innocence he was well enough known so that many of the lifers told him
treasure stories about other people and some made deals with him to
retrieve their treasures and send the money to their family and heirs for
a fee.
I don't recommend getting sent to the pen just to get treasure
leads but if anyone is going anyway the potential is there. The man's
name is Gene Ballinger and the book about his troubles and prison life
was written by someone else with his help and was called something like
"Yes, The Sun Will Rise". My copy was destroyed in 2003 flood and I can't remember the exact title but someone will remember and add to this post.
It was promoted as being a listing of all the treasure stories he was told and most of what he listed was very generic and many people who bought the book as a treasure book were disapointed with it. The ones who bought it to learn the back story of the collapse of the Association found it interesting if
self-serving. siegfried schlagrule

rubberdiver13

Dec 19, 2008
worcestershire
Detector(s) used
excalibur 1000, c-scope,laser b2
Dirt Fishin Dale said:
Not wanting to show my age, But have you ever noticed that metal detecting gets popular at times then goes away for a bit? I can tell by my yearly finds on when the hobby gets more popular. I think hard times might have something to do with it. What do you think?
have you seen my topic on the excalibur, what do you think

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread