is metal detecting on its way out??

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a very well known web site here in California is gone?? dont know why but it concerns me cause of this great hobby. We all add to history with our finds and preserve history. I have seen and read the historical finds here in TNET and shared in the enthusiasm of many of the members at their best. This is a passion we all share some more intense than others but some get tired and fall short. For da newbies reaserch and dream big its worth it :hello: durn spell check aint wurkin

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what site? Figures, every single time I start a new hobby it seems to go away.. lol I hope not!!

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HunterSteve said:
what site? Figures, every single time I start a new hobby it seems to go away.. lol I hope not!!
yur ok here but 1 here in cali done gone. :dontknow:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was this site that made me get my metal detector out of the closet and get me back out detecting and looking for ancient artifacts again.You guys were having to much fun and I felt left out :hello:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
aa battery, I guess you are referring to the world-famous "kinzli California detecting" site, eh? There is only speculation as to why it's now defunct.

Rumor has it that flack started when site tips (old-town-urban demolition sites) were posted by well-meaning folks in other areas. Like persons who perhaps had just been travelling through a distant town, or saw something in the news, or for whatever reason weren't personally going to able to hunt a site. They might post site tips for others to "keep an eye on". Sounds reasonable (afterall, why see a site go to waste and get fill-dirt put down on top of it?), but the down-side is, that perhaps a local person in that city or locale had his own eyes on it (waiting for the tractors to start) and didn't appreciate any "site tips" that might bring out sore-thumb indiscreet newbies or whatever. After one such "site tip", a person who feared that this would bring out un-wanted guests to a site he had personally been waiting for, got upset, and perhaps wanted the mod's to pull the post? That started a debate/thread on whether its ok or not to post site tips publically, and if so, how to do it, etc....

There were 3 "site tips" (all urban demo's) posted in a single day or so, only one of which was posted by me (not the one that generated the gripers beef btw).

Anyhow, the forum owner had apparently "had enough" of babysitting gripers, so perhaps he just pulled the plug? Jeff has many varied hobbies and interests (muscle cars, body-building, martial arts, and a host of others). Not just detecting alone, like some of us nuts :tongue3: So you can imagine he does not want to have to constantly be a moderator between people who think each other should be silenced, etc....

If Jeff does not bring back up the famous CA specific forum, I guess there's always the Ca specific subsection of this T'net website:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=1011910cb385529d0f1318a755b2feb9&board=145.0

For us CA guys to brag and post about finds, sites, item-ID's, site-specific stuff, etc... is JUST not the same on a national "finds" type forum. I mean, let's face it: each locale in the USA has its own hunting specifics, history, etc... So a reale or bust coin here, might have no relevance to an east coast guy. Or for example: To a CW southern-state guy, a bullet or CW button may be a great "atteboy" find, but would have no significance to a west coast person. Likewise British finds don't stir up a lot of us USA guys (unless we intend to fly over there or something), and conversely, our 200 yr. old coins would seem like modern child's play to a British hunter. So for these reasons, it was good to have a well-trafficked forum like the Kinzli CA specific forum. I sincerely hope Jeff brings it back. I will personally bring him a 12 pack of his favorite dark beer if he does so! :'(

doublet2a

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2007
Lindsay, California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. Elite 5", 8" & 10" coils. EXP II 8" & 10" coils with inline Sunray pin pointer. AT Pro 8" & 10" Coils, Equinox 600 10" and 5" coils.
Well said Tom :thumbsup: Sometimes I think it was plain "selfishness" on that "local persons" part.
What ever it was it's done now. A lot of people are in the dark about what happened, I am getting E-mails constantly now asking what happened. Seems the only one that really knows is Jeff, and he ain't talkin. Life goes on, but Kinzli's forum will be dearly missed by many.

Tim

S

stefen

In comparison, just because Packard, Studebaker and Nash ceased making cars in the 50's did not mean the demise of the automobile industry...

Metal detecting is most likely a viable industry and hobby that will be here for many more years despite the loss of a WEB Site and a multitude of new laws...

The hobbists don't need to be thinking like Chicken Little saying the sky is falling :coffee2:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, metal detectin is pretty much over. Sorry. Y'all get rid of your detectors. Sell them for scrap or somethin. Since I'm old and set in my ways, me and a few other guys will hang onto ours. But it's pretty much done. Everything that could be found has been found, and nobody wants to be out there looking for treasures we imagine to be buried someplace anyway. So that sort of thing is all over. An interesting side note to history. ( my whole post is a joke and an effort to cut down the competition)

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my a$$ wuz showin but jeff is back :hello2:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't care if it were on the way out, I don't do it for other hobbyists.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMountains said:
It was this site that made me get my metal detector out of the closet and get me back out detecting and looking for ancient artifacts again.You guys were having to much fun and I felt left out :hello:
No wonder you put it away :wink: i'v seen the pictures of were you live 8)

SS

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
RGINN said:
Yeah, metal detectin is pretty much over. Sorry. Y'all get rid of your detectors. Sell them for scrap or somethin. Since I'm old and set in my ways, me and a few other guys will hang onto ours. But it's pretty much done. Everything that could be found has been found, and nobody wants out there looking for treasures we imagine to be buried someplace anyway. So that sort of thing is all over. An interesting side note to history. ( my whole post is a joke and an effort to cut down the competition)

Your killin me RGINN!!!!!! :laughing9:,,,,Thats just what I was going to say,,,, ya beat me to the punch!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread