Is silver better then gold? You can have 2.5 grams of gold or 4.4 ounces of silver

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't invest in Gold or Silver, I stack it for survival not investment. Actually the silver is called Junk not scrap and Morgan AU's go for around $26.00. as of this week. Yes I know the video was made back in April. Right now the premiums for AE's are around $3 over spot and about $2.60 for other rounds. Keep Stacking

OP
OP
D

dofair

Tenderfoot
Jul 24, 2013
Prescott Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett At-Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Locally and on ebay Morgans are still getting $32.00 each. I'm buying them around $60.00 to $80.00 each for graded MS-63's. Its refered as both scrap or junk. people call it scrap because all its worth is what u can melt it for. Junk is scrap lol I buy scrap silver, bullion, morgans, and graded morgans. That way i have spot for the silver bullion and scrap 90% coins. then 20 years from now I have great looking morgans I can sell for way more then scrap. I try and pack it for investment and the future,

If something bad happens. People will want and need FOOD, WATER, GAS, and AMMUNITION more then silver. With out gas your limited to your town. People will want 1 of the 4 items what will they do with silver or gold? You can't eat it or live from it. and anyone trading for it will die from starvation before they find someone who wants it. It will probably be worth a fortune but who would be around to actually buy it? Economy crash means no gas, water, or electric because no jobs open to sell or provide goods. So people will want what they can use to survive. To me owning silver to protect from economic ruin is pointless.

They traded gold and silver for goods for years. People farmed and sold there crops for gold and silver so they can buy what they needed but they mostly bartered. Things are different now then the last 100 years.

TreasurePirate69

Jan 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dofair: With all due respect you appear to be suffering from the very common "binary thinking" disorder. Binary thinking is "looking at the world in black and white" which means that you believe there are only two options or possibilities: Mad Max destruction, and total utopia. Neither of these are highly likely. There are an infinite number of scenarios in between where both gold and silver will have value to people. I'm not saying that I believe these scenarios will come to pass. But it is foolish to ignore the benefits of gold and silver in SOME of these scenarios just because it would be worthless in ONE of them.

Last edited:

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
dofair: With all due respect you appear to be suffering from the very common "binary thinking" disorder. Binary thinking is "looking at the world in black and white" which means that you believe there are only two options or possibilities: Mad Max destruction, and total utopia. Neither of these are highly likely. There are an infinite number of scenarios in between where both gold and silver will have value to people. I'm not saying that I believe these scenarios will come to pass. But it is foolish to ignore the benefits of gold and silver in SOME of these scenarios just because it would be worthless in one of them.

Very true TreasurePirate. And I believe that if we ever had a Mad Max, 90%+ of the US population would not make it if such a situation lasted longer than a week or two.

Nobody would be "bartering" their food and water unless they had an endless supply. The only for sure thing in a Mad Max is that most everyone (except the real preppers) would be out of supplies in days or weeks and would probably join the throngs of roving mobs out looking to steal and pillage.

The people who would make it thru a Mad max probably would be those living in very secluded or very small towns where the people actually look out for each other. I doubt many such places exist in any highly populated or urban type areas.

Think Katrina and multiply by 1000. That is what most places would see.

Just my opinion.

Jim

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
I hoard my silver so I can melt it down ta make bullets just incase werewolves join the zombie invasion !!!!

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hoard my silver so I can melt it down ta make bullets just incase werewolves join the zombie invasion !!!!

You don't hafta melt them down. Just put a few dimes in a 20ga. shell. You can take out a whole pack of werewolves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread