Is taking a cell phone on a hunt really necessary?

~Audiz~

Nov 9, 2008
Rochester, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250...Garrett Pro-pointer... "The secret of vast riches begins with a single penny"
Sandman said:
Many people take their cell phones everywhere they go and are afraid to be without them. Granted they could come to use for an emergency, but do you think they can also affect how well your detector operates. Course there are many different cell phones and one may not bother a certain detector and another will.

I don't take any chances and keep mine turned off till I need to use it.

I'm the same, I have my cell phone with me for emergency only . While detecting I carry it along in my fanny pack I don't have it on so don't know if it causes the detecter any problems, hey you never know when an emergency happens and can't get back to the car. Just common sense...

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I always keep mine on me. I don't necessarily like to talk on it for any period of time, or answer text messages, but since I work at a cell company ( ;D) and I'm actually on call 24/7 for law enforcement subpoenas and search warrants, they get a little upset if I turn it off.

I've never noticed a bit of intereference between my phone and detector. It's GSM so, yes, it will cause a bit of intereference in alarm clocks or tube-style computer and television screens, but I've never noticed any other problems.

And, it's odd and I'm sure it has no real relevance, but I've noticed the last 4 or 5 times I've been out hunting and the wife calls, as soon as I get off the call I find a silver Rosie within the next 5 minutes or so, hand on heart. It's always a Rosie, never any other silver coin. Who knows??

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
civil war hunter said:
Oh heavens yes. How about that girl from Hooters texts you in the middle of you hunt wanting to go eat some were. You can miss that :notworthy:

But yeah. Esp when out in the middle of no were if got bitten by a snake or something..

Out in the middle of no were is where I like to hunt and the snakes are a issue. I am lucky enough to have a signal , the cell phone stay on all the time when I'm hunting .

Attachments

• DSC02839(1) (Small).JPG
    DSC02839(1) (Small).JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 276

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is wise to have your cell phone on all the time when hunting if you're out in the middle of nowhere. I have told diggergirl that I will leave her a message with the coordinates of where I'll be when I'm out in the woods. I dont' have cell phone reception in many of the places I hunt, but I still leave it on. Anything could happen--fall down an old well or cistern, snake bitten, yellow jackets' nest, twist or break your ankle. And the list goes on.

It just makes sense that someone should know where you are when you dig--otherwise no one would ever find you in the event of an emergency.

-Buck

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
BuckleBoy said:
I think it is wise to have your cell phone on all the time when hunting if you're out in the middle of nowhere. I have told diggergirl that I will leave her a message with the coordinates of where I'll be when I'm out in the woods. I dont' have cell phone reception in many of the places I hunt, but I still leave it on. Anything could happen--fall down an old well or cistern, snake bitten, yellow jackets' nest, twist or break your ankle. And the list goes on.

It just makes sense that someone should know where you are when you dig--otherwise no one would ever find you in the event of an emergency.

-Buck

I agree a cell phone is helpfull in many situations but I don't own one and never will. When I leave the house, my wife knows where I'm going and knows how to find me if need be.

I talk on the phone for 8 hours every day at work and refuse to talk on one when I get off. It's just me and I know I'm old school but I really do get tired of talking on the phone. I'll probably regret it one day, but that's the way it is.

PS-Don't call my house after 7:00 pm. You'll get cussed out. :D

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 and a Minelab Explorer XS with Gray Ghost Originals
civil war hunter said:
Hey who's that hot chick in the pic Jimmy(PA)?

Jimmy(PA) said:
Why not just turn it off when you hunt and turn it back on if you need it. I'd rather have one with me especially if im a few miles into the woods. Who knows were old wells and stuff could be hidden. Ive been carrying one with me for every hunt i've gone on in the past 10 years and never had any issues. Pay Phones are getting less and less common and the ones still around tend to be broken most of the time and there isnt any were I hunt. ;D

It's a member of the forum, take a guess haha.

dazoff

Aug 7, 2007
Lower Mainland Vancouver,BC
Detector(s) used
To many to say
Necessary yes it frees up my time to hunt instead of waiting at home for calls. Anyone on call that needs to respond couldn't ask for a better tool.

Based on my finds I would say there is no problem carrying a cellphone. :thumbsup:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does not bother my Tesoro. In the back wooods its wise to be able to make a call out. They need to make one with a probe on it,lol but if you dig up gold bars you can get a cell pic and make banner ! Deer hunting we all text. See anything? You in your tree yet? When you coming out? Did you shoot? Ahhh its all fun. :icon_sunny:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have mine with me all the time to; if needed I want to be able to call as soon as needed, or get called when needed. On the other hand mostly gals have my phone #. :D

I haven't noticed any problems with interferance. :)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jimmy(PA) said:
It's a member of the forum, take a guess haha.

Can I guess? ........Is it "Kelly"? I thought I pick up a hint once before on a post by Kelly, but wasn't sure. If it is Kelly she is still just as pretty..................

wds

Greenie
Sep 1, 2008
Owensville ohio
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker 4, BH quick draw 2,Whites 5900di, Minelab XT505
I have a Minelab X-30, when my cell rings I can hear some interferance in the earphones. That all though, so where I hunt, it's on. Sometimes if I hunt with someone else, we get seperated, so we call each other if we hit a good spot over a hill where we can't see each other.

B

BIG61AL

I can't understand how having a cell on can interfer with your detector. In any urban area you are awash in electromagnetic waves. At any one time you can be near voltage lines, phone lines, radio waves - both weak or strong, cell phone signals, remote control toys, microwaves etc etc etc. I am sure if you put your coil directly over a power line or near a transformer box it will interfer somehow but for the most part none of the items I mentioned earlier should be a problem. Sure you can shut off your cell phone but are you going to ask everyone at the park to turn theirs off just so you can hunt?

TURNMASTER

Oct 13, 2009
Spokane WA
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705, Explorer SE, & At Pro
XTerra 705 and Verizon no interference talking or not, I've tried. I throw mine in the backpack. Depends on if I am expecting a call, OR the truck if I don't want interference:

RING; yes dear
RING; yes dear
RING; yes dear
RING; yes dear
RING; yes dear

Did I say no interference

And no I will not answer it if we are having a conversation. (95% of the time)
No I do not text and if you do while we are having a conversation our convo is thru. Its just rude.

HH
Jeff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions