Is the bicentennial s proof half silver.

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
There were 3 types of bicentennial halves with S mints. If it looks like a 1971-1974 coin on the rim (CuNi) then it is a regular proof. If it looks like a 1967 rim it could either be a 40% silver proof or uncirculated strike.

I have attached a photo of all three.

HH,
65GT350

Attachments

• 1976S_Desc.JPG
    1976S_Desc.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 344
  • 1976S_Desc.JPG
    1976S_Desc.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 342

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
65gt350 said:
There were 3 types of bicentennial halves with S mints. If it looks like a 1971-1974 coin on the rim (CuNi) then it is a regular proof. If it looks like a 1967 rim it could either be a 40% silver proof or uncirculated strike.

I have attached a photo of all three.

HH,
65GT350

Nice post, 65GT. I know I've answered this countless times before in the past. With your photo, it makes it clear to new hunters. You should include this post in the pinned thread, Newcomers Guide...

FIRE310

Mar 22, 2011
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Garret AT PRO, Ace 250, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
etaucher86 said:
The S marking on the coin means its a Silver coin, more then likly it came out of a proof set.

Negative sir. Just because it has an "S" mint mark doesnt make it a silver coin....

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Hey, 65gt350...thank you for posting that!!!!!

Even though I've been CRHing for a while, it was nice to learn about this.

OP
OP
T

treeslayer

Apr 9, 2010
Thanks for all the info, the photos were very helpfull. Good luck and happy hunting.

tgcougar

Jun 8, 2011
FIRE310 said:
etaucher86 said:
The S marking on the coin means its a Silver coin, more then likly it came out of a proof set.

Negative sir. Just because it has an "S" mint mark doesnt make it a silver coin....

It is a mint mark from San Francisco, hence the "S". Recently, that mint has been mainly minting only silver coins, which may be where you're confusing things. Keep learning as much about collecting as you can and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
tgcougar said:
FIRE310 said:
etaucher86 said:

It is a mint mark from San Francisco, hence the "S". Recently, that mint has been mainly minting only silver coins, which may be where you're confusing things. Keep learning as much about collecting as you can and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Cougar - You really shouldn't make such a blanket statement. It will only confuse those who are new to the hobby. San Fran mints silver proof sets, Clad Proof sets, and Commemoratives. If you compare their mintages with respect to individual denominations, you will note that San Fran produces way more clad than silver issues.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread