Is The Cold Draining Your Batteries Prematurely? If So...Try This

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
These methods work well on the Garrett GTI Series and the Garrett ACE Series metal detectors. If you swing another make or model, you will have to try a different approach, but the same principles prevail. Keeping the batteries warm keeps them running longer, and keeping the electronics warm, keeps the LCD from slowing down and the knobs from getting stiff. Remember to read your manual and operate your detector at the recommended temperature range. If your detector permanently malfunctions from operating in the cold, it could void your warranty. Now having said that, I have run my ACE 250 at - 25 with no problems, and -10 with my GTI & GTA models.

Supplies:

- Some air activated hand warmers (Wal-Mart)
- Duck tape
- Bubble wrap (small bubble type)

GTI Series Below:

warmone2.jpg

Grab one of those hand warmers, activate as per the instructions written on the package, set behind the LCD as shown, cover with some bubble wrap (helps insulate the hot-pack)then apply duck tape to secure it. Make sure you cover the whole hot-pack.
warmtwo2.jpg

To save the battery life, us the same procedure as above, only attach the hot pack underneath the battery pack.

WARM2.jpg

COLDACE2.jpg

Attachments

• pic53121.jpg
    pic53121.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 229
  • pic53121.jpg
    pic53121.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 288

beaverdigger

Jan 26, 2008
Looks like more trouble and expense than it's worth. Most won't be out and about in extreme cold. So on the other side of the coin, how do you cool it in the hot summer months? Place ice packs on it?
Ok so let's say its cold out. About 20 degrees or so, if you just gotta go dig. You travel out to your chosen site, with your detector in your auto, the heater is on and it's nice and toasty inside. As soon as you get to your site, you get your machine out, grab your gear turn on and go. All in the space of less than 5 minutes. Guess what? You are gonna get false signals until your machine and the surrounding temp equalizes. Been there, done that. Turn your machine on, set it on the ground for at least 15 minutes while you finish your coffee, gather up and organize your gear and head out. Same procedure in the hot summer months after the machine rode out to the site in an air conditioned auto, minus the hot coffee. I haven't swung a machine yet that would not handle the temp spread here in Oklahoma, but of course I would never put my machine in the oven or the freezer to see how much it can take, either.
Of course,That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
beaverdigger said:
Looks like more trouble and expense than it's worth. Most won't be out and about in extreme cold. So on the other side of the coin, how do you cool it in the hot summer months? Place ice packs on it?

Some of us live in climates where we get extreme temperatures, and choose not to stay inside, as we ski, hunt, snowshoe etc and also like to metal detect. I have been warming my machines for years with great results. I have never had problems with my machines giving false signals. In fact it was the opposite....it ran much more stable. Some of us like to tinker around, experiment and try new things. That also part of the hobby too which can give great satisfaction. Of course if you choose not to try it and it's not worth your trouble, that's OK to. :icon_sunny:

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
http://chemistry.about.com/od/howthingsworkfaqs/f/coldbattery.htm

Question: Why Do Batteries Discharge More Quickly in Cold Weather?

Answer: The electric current generated by a battery is produced when a connection is made between its positive and negative terminals. When the terminals are connected, a chemical reaction is initiated that generates electrons to supply the current of the battery. Lowering the temperature causes chemical reactions to proceed more slowly, so if a battery is used at a low temperature then less current is produced than at a higher temperature. As the batteries run down they quickly reach the point where they cannot deliver enough current to keep up with the demand. If the battery is warmed up again it will operate normally.

One solution to this problem is to make certain batteries are warm just prior to use. Preheating batteries is not unusual for certain situations. If the battery is already warm and insulated, it may make sense to use the battery's own power to operate a heating coil. It is reasonable to have batteries warm for use, but the discharge curve for most batteries is more dependent on battery design and chemistry than on temperature. This means that if the current drawn by the equipment is low in relation to the power rating of the cell, then the effect of temperature may be negligible.

On the other hand, when a battery is not in use, it will slowly lose its charge as a result of leakage between the terminals. This chemical reaction is also temperature dependent, so unused batteries will lose their charge more slowly at cooler temperatures than at warmer temperatures. For example, certain rechargeable batteries may go flat in approximately two weeks at normal room temperature, but may last more than twice as long if refrigerated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread