May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Caveman -
It's great on dry sand / beach - It's not made for water, though you can detect in the water as long as you don't get the control box wet. Coil, cable and shaft are all fine in the water.
It comes with a dust cover for the control box, and I have hunted in the light rain without issues. Probably wouldn't detect in a down pour.
Good Luck!!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Caveman -
It's great on dry sand / beach - It's not made for water, though you can detect in the water as long as you don't get the control box wet. Coil, cable and shaft are all fine in the water.
It comes with a dust cover for the control box, and I have hunted in the light rain without issues. Probably wouldn't detect in a down pour.
Good Luck!!
Ditto! The only thing I'd add is: Get the NEL 15" Attack coil for it for beach use. It's a great coil for wide open spaces. Goes deep and pin points well.

huntindog1

Apr 20, 2012
South Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Current: CTX3030
Past: ETRAC Omega 8000, Whites DFX, Fisher F2, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Sabre Plus, Garrett GTA 1000 PM, Fisher CZ6, Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ETRAC can be a turn on and go detector with its factory modes already set for you or you can also play with the settings as you get more comfortable with the machine.

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I had the E-Trac (prior to the CTX), I always carried a clear plastic bag in case of rain. Just slip it over the control housing. I had a dust cover over the screen but the plastic bag was an extra precaution. I hunted in downpours just fine with the E-Trac. However, be careful in the water - if you slip and get the housing dunked - it's all over. I probed the edges of lakes and rivers a few feet out but that was about it with the E-Trac.

By the way, if you learn the E-Trac you should be able to find just about anything the CTX can find - their individual strengths and weaknesses about cancel out in my opinion. I tested both side-by-side, the E-Trac is just as deep as the CTX, so don't think you need a CTX (unless you're water hunting - then you do). The important thing is to experiment ... try every setting you can, and learn the machine well.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I had the E-Trac (prior to the CTX), I always carried a clear plastic bag in case of rain. Just slip it over the control housing. I had a dust cover over the screen but the plastic bag was an extra precaution. I hunted in downpours just fine with the E-Trac. However, be careful in the water - if you slip and get the housing dunked - it's all over. I probed the edges of lakes and rivers a few feet out but that was about it with the E-Trac.

By the way, if you learn the E-Trac you should be able to find just about anything the CTX can find - their individual strengths and weaknesses about cancel out in my opinion. I tested both side-by-side, the E-Trac is just as deep as the CTX, so don't think you need a CTX (unless you're water hunting - then you do). The important thing is to experiment ... try every setting you can, and learn the machine well.

Maybe I am just to nervous, I have a dust cover I keep in my pouch, but If it looks like rain I head for the Jeep!!!.......overly cautious?

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe I am just to nervous, I have a dust cover I keep in my pouch, but If it looks like rain I head for the Jeep!!!.......overly cautious?

I'm with you cooper. If it looks like there is a chance of rain, I bring my F44 with me. As soon as I feel a few drops of rain, I put up whatever my main detector is for the day and bring out the F44. Better safe than sorry.

Jeffsh

Greenie
Dec 28, 2014
Sacramento, califor
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000, XLt, Mxt, GM3 garrett Ace 250 and 350, Fisher F2,f5, Gold bug 2, Minela Sovereign, exploxer ii, Excalibur experience. I use the Fisher F5 and F2.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found putting my extract in semi 14 and was hunting with a sunray 12 in coil and found a 3 pence 1914 silver at 14 inches. The entire teacher is a great machine.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I bought an E-Trac last spring. Showed up on Craigslist for 500.00 including a Garrett pinpointer, all books cd, box and warranty. He thought the warranty had expired. He didn't like the machine. I bought it in a heartbeat. Still had almost two years of warranty left. I downloaded Bills parks program. I haven't wavered from it and it is awesome on silver and deep wheat's.

Hard to learn? NOT. Sure I could experiment but no need yet. I am quite satisfied with that program. Heavy. YES. I just might be selling it, however, that is its only drawback. It is hard for me to swing with my neck and right arm problems.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
The FBS series are HOT. With all the detectors I'd used before, the FBS sent an incredible amount of sound (noise) into my ears. That frustrated me, too much noise, where were the targets!

But then I got used to it fairly quickly. When you hit a target, it sticks in all directions, repeatable. Maybe those who discarded them just couldn't deal with all those noises coming out of the ground. If you kill that noise, you're also cutting the sensitivity.

I deal with that noise now :)

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found putting my extract in semi 14 and was hunting with a sunray 12 in coil and found a 3 pence 1914 silver at 14 inches. The entire teacher is a great machine.

What???

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I've found 7 silver coins since I bought mine 3 weeks ago. No learning curve for silver evidently. These all came from sites I've previously searched too. IMO, it's worth it.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought an E-Trac last spring. Showed up on Craigslist for 500.00 including a Garrett pinpointer, all books cd, box and warranty. He thought the warranty had expired. He didn't like the machine. I bought it in a heartbeat. Still had almost two years of warranty left. I downloaded Bills parks program. I haven't wavered from it and it is awesome on silver and deep wheat's.

Hard to learn? NOT. Sure I could experiment but no need yet. I am quite satisfied with that program. Heavy. YES. I just might be selling it, however, that is its only drawback. It is hard for me to swing with my neck and right arm problems.
Get a sling and enjoy life again!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Get a sling and enjoy life again!

Yep, a sling will help immensely! About a half hour with my Etrac my elbow was killing me. The sling made it a whole lot better.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at the deus also. I have no exp with the etrac but have heard great things. I would also like to mention AT Gold also It's deep and faster in the trashy spots than the etrac. I just got the xp deus and set up right it has stupid fast recovery. The at gold loves old copper and small silver both the dues and gold are lighter with the deus being like a feather compared to any other detector I've owned. I wish I could help you on the etrac but never used one.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
My second career recovering artifacts for National and State historic sites relies on Minelab technology. I have filled museums with artifacts found by my CTX. Etrac, from what my friends say, is right there. You cant loose. However, I will say a Deus is an awfully beautiful machine. Whatever you choice, you'll find more stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread