Is the Garrett GTi 2500 a good choice for me?

Jowlz

Aug 6, 2006
Northeastern Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500GTI/Minelab Explorer SE
First off, I have read alot of the information in this forum and it is great :)

My last MD was when I was a kid. I lived on Cape Cod and used to scour the beaches for change. I think tourists thought it was cute so I would see them dropping change for me to find. Needless to say, it was a good source of money :)

Now I am in the market for a new MD. I have read all the reviews and considered a Garrett Ace 250. I called my local MD dealer (I believe in buying local before the net)..and the dealer is out of 250's. He does have a GTI 2500 used in good shape for what seems like a fair price. Here is what I will be using the MD for. Any advice or pointers will be appreciated.

1. My mother's uncle passed last winter. While going through his house we discovered he hoarded gold and silver. Based on what we found in the house and barn, we suspect he may have buried more.

2. I own a home in another state. Not long after we bought it, our 80+- year old neighbors came calling with homemade bread and raspberry jam. I started talking to them about the house (thinking bottle dump). To make a long story short, part of the house was a bar from 1880's-1930's, and was owned by his great aunt. He also asked me if it were ok that him and his relatives etc, still use the path behind my house to get to the creek, as the path behind my house is the only good access for about a mile of the creek. I suspect my house and the acreage that it is on may be a good place to use the MD. He knew nothing of where the bar dumped their trash..but hopefully I can sniff that out.

So, I need something that will be good at detecting both loose coins etc and detecting possible stashes that my great uncle may have buried. I would also like to be able to go into the creek maybe up to my knees with it. I suspect that the 2500 may be overkill, but will it be a good choice for what I am looking to do with it? Thanks, Any information appreciated.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what you have said, the Garrett 2500 is the machine for the job since you can get it for a good price. The deasler can show you how to set it up too. An advantage to the 2500 is it has the ability to tell you the size and depth of all targets in disc. mode.

Good Luck,
Sandman

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Jowlz,

so you were considering a 250 and the local dealer
was out, so he recommended a 2500.
???
Going from the 250 up to the 2500 is a long
step, from one to the other.

Yes it is nice to try and support your local dealer;
what type of warranty is offered with the machine?

2500 should serve your needs, have you tried out
many other detectors at local dealers or visited
any local md clubs?

Why not check out this post. It is by someone, (JerDfx), who
uses another detector and gave the 250 a workout:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,41405.0/topicseen.html

Take your time in making your decision, why rush.

Best in your hunting, sounds like you have an
excellent location.
That path that the locals want to use sounds
VERY interesting. Hope you find the bottle dump(s)
also.

have a good un.............

tabfinder

Jul 9, 2006
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Nocta Simplex
By what I have read; it is a good machine. It WILL require you getting to know it as any machine. You must have patience as it is a higher end machine; and will take some time to learn it. If you are looking for simplicity; then wait for the 250.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread