is the MINELAB Excalibur a good Machine?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
X-Splenda said:
The ecalibar 2 is over my budget! is there much diffrence from the older one? does anybody have this machine and does it work good?

I have owned 3 Excal 1000s, still own 2 Excal 1000s, on one I have spliced in the 15 inch WOT coil so it is basically an Excal 1500.....There is very little difference between the new and old Excals, coil is a little thinner, and II is suppose to be about an inch deeper, but that is still suspect to me. I dig targets over 14 inches deep frequently with mine at the beach. If you can get a good used Excal for a good price, I would go for it. Most owners who have Excals love them.... :icon_thumright:

Personally, I would not go over $650 for it used, the last one I bought I paid $475 and added the WOT coil and a custom built straight shaft, for a total $600 in it....I know others who have got them for anywhere between $350 (lucky) and $650......You will want a straight shaft, stock shaft is unbalanced......

Good luck.................

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH is 100% right about the Excal. I don't have the newest version as the old one is still finding the deep coins and rings. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
X

X-Splenda

Sep 15, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra
Thanks, for the replies
i think im going for a used exclaiber.
i don't think it's worth it to buy the newer one!

OP
OP
X

X-Splenda

Sep 15, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra
do you think the excalibar is old tecnology
i have heard it came out 7 or 8 years ago

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
X-Splenda said:
If the Excalibur and Sovereign is old tecnology it must be really good tecnology. They came out with the Excal. & Sover. about 1992 and i have had a Sovereign since the first one came out. and about every one they made they are just plain easy to use and great detector's. And they have never changed that much. They have been out for about 19 years and will work as good as any thing you could buy today.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
X-Splenda said:

The new Excal II is suppose to be about an inch deeper,but since I already dig some targets 14" and deeper, 1 inch more doesn't make that much of a difference, the new batteries last longer and the coil is lighter are the major difference..

New or old, the technology that makes up the Excals and Sovereigns really works great, I do not trust descrimination to not discriminate out some gold, nor do I trust the notch on the Sovereigns, I would rather dig an extra 100 poptops then miss one nice diamond ring..........

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You know could be that Minelab with the Sovereign & Excalibur is believer in that saying " If it ain't broke don't fix it " You know if it works great leave the dam thing alone." """ But they don't believe in that saying with the Explorer's or X-Terras """

OP
OP
X

X-Splenda

Sep 15, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra
Is $500 a good price for a used excalibuar?
I might buy one.
Thanks-

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
X-Splenda said:
Is $500 a good price for a used excalibuar?
I might buy one.
Thanks-

If it is in good working condition that is a real good price....The wrap around the controls is an easy fix and can be replaced by Minelab for $10 if it is scratched real bad if you send it in for any other work........

X-Splenda said:
does the excel make diffrent sounds on diffrent targets?
Thanks-

Yes the Excal and Sovereign make different sounds for different metals. Remember pull tabs will ring the same as a good target (gold rings coins) so you will still be digging them. If you try to discriminate out pulltabs you will descriminate out some gold.......Remember they use different base metals added to the gold for everything up to 22k...

The secret to the Excal and Sovereigns is to learn the sounds. Both the Excal and the Sovereign detectors are killers at fresh and salt water beaches..... :icon_thumright:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes just learn the different sounds with the Excalibur & Sovereign and you will almost know what you have in the ground before you dig. And yes $500.00 is a good price for a Excalibur hard to find them for that price. They always sell for more than $500.00. used.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many who prefer and like the blue Excalibur over the Excalibur 2.

I saw one recently on craigslist that the person was asking $475 and have seen some go for close to the same price on eBay. I remember one time there was a guy from Canada that had an Excalibur 800 new in the box that went for around $450. I had it marked to bid but didn't get home in time.

As a side note, I was looking at eBay the other night where one person had a Excalibur 1000 listed. A few bid the thing up to over $1000.

But, yes, it's an excellent machine. If you buy it you won't regret it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread