Is the Pit Mine really the Lost Dutchman mine?

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Homar

I believe the only clue that was left out , is the three pines in line from the Julia's map , which are beside the " square " rock with an elongated corner , but not on the side of the mine .

Here I want to make clear how the " square " rock is not literally square . You can see it in the Waltz map , where he depicted the site of the mine .This map has 4 slides , with every slide to show a closer to closer image from the LDM region . I added the pines to the map slide .

View attachment 1524658

Marius - from my perspective it really looks as though you have a site/location in the mountains that you're convinced is the site of Waltz's mine and from that you're working backward to pick and choose which clues and which sources fit that spot. Maybe I'm wrong :dontknow:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marius - from my perspective it really looks as though you have a site/location in the mountains that you're convinced is the site of Waltz's mine and from that you're working backward to pick and choose which clues and which sources fit that spot. Maybe I'm wrong :dontknow:

Hi Paul

Is how it works for every person separatelly . For me , I use my intuition and the logic to choose the clues which would lead me to the site , and after I work backward to separate the accurate clues from the altered .

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Homar,

Sorry to interject between you and Roy...don't want to sound uppity either, just some general comments on the thread...but the supposed sharing of the German clues happened "around the turn of the century", (which was only about 10 yrs after the "under-the-bed" ore problem happened)...At this time I think Hermann was living up around Tortilla Mtn. (someone correct me if I'm wrong, it's relevant) and I can't think of any reason he would have given up the search, or wanted partners from anyone, much less a hostile entity, at that early time. I'm also not sure that a William Edwards was actually in the PHX area at the time, so I'm calling the whole episode and all the German clues as BS...my opinion.

And for Roy, who started this thread: No, I don't think the pit mine is the LDM. I think it might be one of the LDC (Cache). I do think it might be the Lost German mine, or the Lost Soldier's mine. Again, only my opinion, I have never been to the pit mine...I have been near it, but like the clues say, I would have never found it.

Howdy Jim, glad you decided to join the debates once again. Your opinion while different from mine, is just as worthy, and always welcomed. Ten years does not seem much time for those who search for the LDM once or twice a year, on their vacations. But for anyone living in those mountains on a constant fruitless search, ten years would, or could make them try something else.

In my honest opinion, the only clue that may have been confused by Julia and Rhiney, is the peak with a hole to the South. Unless Weaver Needle had a hole in it before it was blown up? Of course we will have to wait for the LDM to be found, to find out who had it right. :coffee2::coffee2:

Homar

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
A big Dakota howdy to my amigo Potbelly Jim and welcome to Treasurenet! It is good to hear from you.

Thank you to Deducer, wish I could remember details like that. I was under the impression that Herman had kept up his own search until his death, but the accident could be a good reason to stop.

Please do continue,
:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a peak to the north of Weavers Needle that has a hole through it's eastern flank.
It can be seen, with the sky beyond, from a high point about 3/4 of a mile further to the north. That view point is on a trail which then drops down into a saddle with a large area suitable for a campsite and grazing animals. I don't think the hole can be seen as such from any other area or direction since, due to it's alignment and relatively small size, it would only look like another cave or crevice from other surrounding vantage points.

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Howdy Jim, glad you decided to join the debates once again. Your opinion while different from mine, is just as worthy, and always welcomed. Ten years does not seem much time for those who search for the LDM once or twice a year, on their vacations. But for anyone living in those mountains on a constant fruitless search, ten years would, or could make them try something else.

In my honest opinion, the only clue that may have been confused by Julia and Rhiney, is the peak with a hole to the South. Unless Weaver Needle had a hole in it before it was blown up? Of course we will have to wait for the LDM to be found, to find out who had it right. :coffee2::coffee2:

Homar

Thanks, Homar. I can get caught up in details a lot so my apologies for beating a dead horse...such as I think Herman actually left AZ for several years after the initial failure to find anything. So I don't think he was out in the mts. looking again until a few years before the turn of the century, so his searching would still have been relatively fresh at the turn of the century. Anyway, that's not really the important part. What I think is important is that the story of him giving those German clues to Roberts and Wm. Edwards (who I'm not sure is real) is probably just made up entirely. If I did believe the Holmes faction got those clues from Herman, the only way I see that happening is if Jim Bark made sure those clues were passed along to them in some way...in other words, active measures of disinformation to mislead the other guys. I think the mineral claim made by Herman in 1897 (Jim Bark was in on it) was just such an effort. Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome and listening to the ranting! Best, Jim

Last edited:

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
A big Dakota howdy to my amigo Potbelly Jim and welcome to Treasurenet! It is good to hear from you.

Thank you to Deducer, wish I could remember details like that. I was under the impression that Herman had kept up his own search until his death, but the accident could be a good reason to stop.

Please do continue,
:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee:

Thanks Roy! I agree, that was good gouge on Herman from Deducer...Best, Jim

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
The other possibility to think about is not that those clues are made up, but that they are indeed valid, (whether transmitted by Hermann to the Holmes camp or otherwise obtained) but offer little in the way of getting very close to the LDM. Both Petrasch and Holmes had more clues that were meant for when they got to where the mine was: cards that they held very close to their chest. Holmes, IIRC, was bent on finding the mine itself so that he could have a starting point by which to pace off towards where the caches were buried.

Some of those clues do exist, such as crossing at the rocky shallows, the hole, as Somehiker mentions, and especially the spires, one of which is the same one Doc Thorne describes in a very specific, explicit fashion.

Others are common sense- such as the fact that Waltz hid his mine as the Mexicans did. That's pretty much a given- they were the best at that, and could disguise a mine to the point where you'd walk right over it and not know it. This is the reason I have never checked out an open mine shaft. Who other than the Forest Service bothers with covering up a played out mine?

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other possibility to think about is not that those clues are made up, but that they are indeed valid, (whether transmitted by Hermann to the Holmes camp or otherwise obtained) but offer little in the way of getting very close to the LDM. Both Petrasch and Holmes had more clues that were meant for when they got to where the mine was: cards that they held very close to their chest. Holmes, IIRC, was bent on finding the mine itself so that he could have a starting point by which to pace off towards where the caches were buried.

Some of those clues do exist, such as crossing at the rocky shallows, the hole, as Somehiker mentions, and especially the spires, one of which is the same one Doc Thorne describes in a very specific, explicit fashion.

Others are common sense- such as the fact that Waltz hid his mine as the Mexicans did. That's pretty much a given- they were the best at that, and could disguise a mine to the point where you'd walk right over it and not know it. This is the reason I have never checked out an open mine shaft. Who other than the Forest Service bothers with covering up a played out mine?

Deducer

I believe they hadn't more clues that we know , otherwise they would found the mine for sure .
I agree with you how the clues does not lead to the mine but only in the vicinity ( considering how the distance between cave and mine is nor the accurate one ), enough to know which clues to follow . The only document that shows the exact spot of the mine ( IMO ), is the Waltz map .

Last edited:

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Thanks, Homar. I can get caught up in details a lot so my apologies for beating a dead horse...such as I think Herman actually left AZ for several years after the initial failure to find anything. So I don't think he was out in the mts. looking again until a few years before the turn of the century, so his searching would still have been relatively fresh at the turn of the century. Anyway, that's not really the important part. What I think is important is that the story of him giving those German clues to Roberts and Wm. Edwards (who I'm not sure is real) is probably just made up entirely. If I did believe the Holmes faction got those clues from Herman, the only way I see that happening is if Jim Bark made sure those clues were passed along to them in some way...in other words, active measures of disinformation to mislead the other guys. I think the mineral claim made by Herman in 1897 (Jim Bark was in on it) was just such an effort. Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome and listening to the ranting! Best, Jim

Jim,

Have to agree with you about Edwards, as we searched for him...extensivly. Helens source for this information is likely more important than the information itself. The Apache elders at San Carlos have some opinions along those lines.

Good to see you posting here.

Take care,

Joe

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Jim,

Have to agree with you about Edwards, as we searched for him...extensivly. Helens source for this information is likely more important than the information itself. The Apache elders at San Carlos have some opinions along those lines.

Good to see you posting here.

Take care,

Joe

Thanks for the welcome, Joe. I remember the discussions you guys had on HC's book from years past. I guess we shouldn't be surprised that some disinformation or yarns would end up in a book about the LDM :tongue3: Also not the first time I've heard of some cherished family traditions or stories turn out to be, er, not so true...my family included....Best, Jim

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Paul

Is how it works for every person separatelly . For me , I use my intuition and the logic to choose the clues which would lead me to the site , and after I work backward to separate the accurate clues from the altered .

Marius - If it works for you that's all that matters :) Best of luck

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my last trip to the Pit Mine area I took a lot of photo's of the surrounding peaks. One of which shows Weavers Needle to the south in a saddle just like the supposed map Waltz drew, and another which shows a hole in the rock on a peak to the south not north. I suppose if you were on the other side of this peaks the hole would be to the north. I'll see if I still have the photo of the hole and post it.

If it really is a valuable viable clue maybe I shouldn't post it....

Ah, you know me I probably will anyway..

I can take you right to that clue though.

View attachment 1525389

After looking closely at the hole photo, I noticed it has a large rock face looking right up at it.
Is that part of the clues as well?

Last edited:

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my last trip to the Pit Mine area I took a lot of photo's of the surrounding peaks. One of which shows Weavers Needle to the south in a saddle just like the supposed map Waltz drew, and another which shows a hole in the rock on a peak to the south not north. I suppose if you were on the other side of this peaks the hole would be to the north. I'll see if I still have the photo of the hole and post it.

If it really is a valuable viable clue maybe I shouldn't post it....

Ah, you know me I probably will anyway..

I can take you right to that clue though.

View attachment 1525389

After looking closely at the hole photo, I noticed it has a large rock face looking right up at it.
Is that part of the clues as well?

Bill - I took almost the same photo a few years ago from the ridge above the Pit Mine. I'm pretty sure that direction is West not South though right?

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Sent to me this morning:

https://www.arizonahighways.com/blog...-dutchman-myth

You may notice that Ron Feldman says what some of us have been saying for a number of years now. Who would know better than Ron?

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

I do notice that, and have an answer for your question - Jacob Waltz! :laughing7:

I have met Ron and liked him immediately, however I do not know him well enough to make any sweeping statements concerning him. However I would point out that there remains a rather important stumbling block to the theory as Ron proposed (and has been proposed by many others here and on other venues) in the ore itself. The assay done by Joe Porterie reportedly gave a result of some 5,321.7 ounces of gold <$110,000 per ton at the old $20.67 per ounce> per ton and 2 ounces of silver. This is a relatively high gold to silver ratio, would you not concur? While other assays done on ore from the same vein will not return the same values, the tendency of that ratio of gold to silver will usually follow the pattern. In other words the next sample might have much less gold, but it would also have much less silver. As has been discussed here ad nauseum, the mines of the Randolph district were pretty much silver mines, not gold. A few were recorded as having pockets of gold. However even in these rich pockets of gold, the amount of silver still runs very high. We do not have any assay results on the infamous Pit mine ore, however I would wager the amount of silver will run high, perhaps as much silver as gold per ton or even more silver than gold.

Further, no one has yet offered to have a specimen of the Pit mine ore compared by an expert to the few existing specimens attributed to Jacob Waltz, namely the match box for one example. My bet will be that the Pit mine ore will NOT match the ore used to make the famous match box.

So I must respectfully disagree with our mutual friend Ron Feldman, and will state that everyone is certainly welcome to their own opinions and conclusions. The Lost Dutchman's gold mine remains lost until someone will PROVE they have found it.

Please do continue, and NO disrespect intended to anyone including Mr Feldman, Cactusjumper and any and all friends of theirs whom support the theory of the so-called Silver Chief as the Lost Dutchman mine. Thanks for sharing the link Joe, interesting article and I look forward to seeing the documentary.

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
[/FONT]

I do notice that, and have an answer for your question - Jacob Waltz! :laughing7:

I have met Ron and liked him immediately, however I do not know him well enough to make any sweeping statements concerning him. However I would point out that there remains a rather important stumbling block to the theory as Ron proposed (and has been proposed by many others here and on other venues) in the ore itself. The assay done by Joe Porterie reportedly gave a result of some 5,321.7 ounces of gold <$110,000 per ton at the old $20.67 per ounce> per ton and 2 ounces of silver. This is a relatively high gold to silver ratio, would you not concur? While other assays done on ore from the same vein will not return the same values, the tendency of that ratio of gold to silver will usually follow the pattern. In other words the next sample might have much less gold, but it would also have much less silver. As has been discussed here ad nauseum, the mines of the Randolph district were pretty much silver mines, not gold. A few were recorded as having pockets of gold. However even in these rich pockets of gold, the amount of silver still runs very high. We do not have any assay results on the infamous Pit mine ore, however I would wager the amount of silver will run high, perhaps as much silver as gold per ton or even more silver than gold.

Further, no one has yet offered to have a specimen of the Pit mine ore compared by an expert to the few existing specimens attributed to Jacob Waltz, namely the match box for one example. My bet will be that the Pit mine ore will NOT match the ore used to make the famous match box.

So I must respectfully disagree with our mutual friend Ron Feldman, and will state that everyone is certainly welcome to their own opinions and conclusions. The Lost Dutchman's gold mine remains lost until someone will PROVE they have found it.

Please do continue, and NO disrespect intended to anyone including Mr Feldman, Cactusjumper and any and all friends of theirs whom support the theory of the so-called Silver Chief as the Lost Dutchman mine. Thanks for sharing the link Joe, interesting article and I look forward to seeing the documentary.

roy..what makes you so sure the pit mine ore hasn't been compared to known samples of ldm ore?

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
[/FONT]

Hi Roy,

As I have stated a number of times before, I have serious doubts that ore from the Pit Mine will ever, publically, produce an assay report. I once asked for a sample of the Pit Mine Ore, and was offered another "nicer" specimen from another known mine. My "door stop" has never showed up, although I believe I deserve to have it. I am not in the least surprised by Rom's cements, although I did expect them to come down the pike much earlier. I should have accepted that offer, as I believe it would have come from the Pit Mine. I also believe the Kochera ore came from that mine, which is also the belief of the person who took the well worn pictures of that ore. In my opinion, he was someone who would have a valid view of that.

I have mentioned before that three people rode up to the Pit Mine and two of them told me the story of that ride. The photographer of the Kochera Ore was one of the three. The two, were shown two cache locations that had been cleaned out. The Pit Mine was still sealed, I was told, as Waltz described it to Holmes. That third man was said to "be dying to open it up". Eventually, as we all know, he did open the pit. Who is going to tell that story, even if it's fiction?:dontknow:

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
roy..what makes you so sure the pit mine ore hasn't been compared to known samples of ldm ore?

I am certain of it because if the ore comparison had been done by a geologist, and it matched, the report would have been broadcast from the rooftops, the evening news and every possible way. There wouldn't be any reason to not make it public and every reason to tell the world.

Please do continue, sorry for not being convinced about the Pit mine being the Lost Dutchman mine. Maybe if we hadn't already had over 200 different claims to have found it, I would be a little less skeptical.

:coffee2: :coffee2:

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
[/FONT]

Roy,

What you say is, of course, true but one of those gentlemen is no longer talking and many of the quotes attributed to him are, to say the least, questionable.

As I have said many times....I don't know $#!t about rocks. No offense taken. On the other hand, I don't believe the Pit Mine is the original location of the Silver Chief Mine.

Take care,

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread