Is the Watch Obsolete? Do you still use one?

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The only reason I got a "Modern" phone was to be able to talk to my daughter who is pretty much deaf. this means I was forced to "text." I do like being able to take pictures with it. my idea of a phone is to say what needs to be said in a few words and that is it. my watch is part of me that I check constantly for various reasons. besides, I have a history with phones and it ain't been very good. donated one to the Atlantic, one to a pond, one to a lake, two to being dropped at normal height, one from a treestand and two being lost. yeah, been rough on a few watches as well. one week went thru three BullsEye pocket watches, finally decided that they weren't meant to be in the front pocket when working.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still kinda traditional and like simplicity, but still prefer absolute accuracy, at least during working hours I do.

Attachments

• 710x528_14920111_8727541_1467597103.jpg
    710x528_14920111_8727541_1467597103.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 54

JoeInMO

Jan 12, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear a Fitbit Versa. I don't care if it shows me the time or not, but I do care about my step count and it nagging me to get up and be active. If it weren't for that I do consider traditional watches as pretty much obsolete. But I've got nothing against somebody wearing one.

-Joe

Pops1959

Feb 8, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400,
Minelab X Terra 705,
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett "Carrot" Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer a watch. I do have a smart phone, but really detest the thing. No desire to use it as a pocket watch.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, what do you do when the sun is not out?:icon_scratch:
You keep a sunstone in your pocket and then when the sun goes down it's then just called night time. When I worked in a large underground mine we had trains running in, out and all around the mine. There was a dispatcher running all the traffic by red- green traffic lights and radio. He was from Brooklyn and he hated when someone would radio him asking what time it was. He'd either just reply it's daytime or night time or it's time for you to buy a f***'n watch.

Attachments

• 2--viking-crystals.jpg
    2--viking-crystals.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Lol there’s one thing that you can say about us boomers...we’re proud of our technological illiteracy...shoot, we wear it on our sleeve.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
When my former best friend retired, he didn't have a watch. He said, why do I need one? When the sun comes up, it's time to wake up. When I feel hungry it's time to eat. And, when the sun goes down, it's time to go home.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been wearing a beat up Ironman for years, and will get another if it ever dies. I wear it if I'm digging a ditch or going to church. No way I'm gonna spend money on a nice watch, just to mess it up, and I don't have a doubt that I would. Besides, that money can go towards a decent bottle for my collection. Plus, I can just glance down to see if the preacher's going long without having to pull out my phone and look like a doof. Scratch that. I already look like a doof.

VonDigger

Dec 13, 2009
Baden, PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With my job, I don't wear a watch. How ever, I am thinking of getting another fitbit to wear to keep track of my steps. I do have a smart phone as well, but it stays in the truck. As for keeping and telling time, I usually use the clock on the truck radio and use the phone to confirm it's right anytime it goes into servce.

93civEJ1

Greenie
Feb 18, 2019
TN
Detector(s) used
Harbor Freight 9 Function
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Apple watch, so basically a phone on my wrist. :)

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
have not used a watch since I started using a cell phone back in the flip phone days maybe 10 years ago. no need, just a piece of jewelry now-a-days.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nope, don't use a watch... I use to have a ton of them!:laughing7: I'm not a big collector anymore and sold off most of mine, but I still occasionally pick them up here and there. I like the pocket watches and I'm just fascinated with the movements. The more complicated the better! But I'm after watches for a different reason, I don't use them to tell time. My friends use to make fun of me..."your the only guy we know with hundreds of watches and don't even know what time it is!!" :laughing7: I liked working on them, looking at them, the history and skill that it took on some of the real old ones or the hand made watches, etc....

I don't like having anything on my wrist, and most of my past jobs would have destroyed a wrist watch fast. I just never wore one except on the rare occasion or to show one off at a watch show or meet.

It's a part of history that is sad to see the interest lost. Some of that stuff took real skill to make or repair. It was an art!!

I still have and do collect some clocks too. There is just something about the sound of them ticking and chiming or coocoo...That electronics can't match. But even then...I hardly ever wind the stuff. haha

I just dug out a record player and hooked it up to my receiver tonight. There was no hook up for the "phono".:laughing7: I bought a stack of records at Goodwill and wanted to listen to them. Pink floyd, Jethro tull,The Who, Beatles,Alice cooper,Neil Young, and a ton of other stuff that I can't remember off the top of my head, I just bought the whole stack since I'm sure it wasn't picked through yet.......Just kind of cool to hear the music even with a few scratches...Just sounds different than the electronic phone....

Last edited:

Rock22

Sep 9, 2013
Erie Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never been able to wear a watch. Drives me nuts having something on my wrist. I am also not a fan of carrying a cell phone everywhere so I like to use a pocket watch.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have worn a Timex since I was 14. Not the same one. I prefer to see the 'hands of time' and the day and date. At work, everything we do is timed so it's easier to glance at my wrist. I do not own a cell phone and dislike them more every day. One thing, the cell phone has made the break room a lot quieter. You walk in, and everybody there is staring at these devices. No talking, no loud laughing, pretty much no interaction with the live human beings right in the room. I have no idea what they're looking at on them.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im to cool to wear a wstch lol

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMG_0210.JPG This was my grandfather's pocket watch. It's still in the original case because he NEVER used it. He was born in 1904 but I don't know when he got this watch so I have no idea as to how old it is but it must date back quite a ways.....pre 1950 at the very least.

Last edited:

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to wear Casio watches when biking and my pocket watch everyplace else til the phone age came along. Wrist watches and machinery are a bad combo hence the pocket watch. Chinese companies send me so many watches I started giving them away since nerve damage makes wearing wrist watches painful.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions