Is the x-terra 705..........

SomebodyElse

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2010
Clear Lake, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
:sign13:
I plan on getting the 705, it will be my first detector and want to know if it's good and worth the money. I live in south east Texas. I will be hunting historic sites (battle grounds of the Texas revolution), beaches and parks. I plan on buying soon, 700 bucks is a lot of money to me and would like to know is it worth it. Will be simple for a newbie? Any input or experiences from owners will be great. Whats the deepest someone has located something with it? Thanks! :icon_thumleft:

vondrewvious

Jan 15, 2008
Maine
I'll bite,
I use an xterra 70 which is essentially the same as your 705.
It for sure is easy enough to understand for a newbie. In my soil, I can easily find stuff plenty deep. I will not mention depth numbers here because there are too many nay sayers to argue depth. It is a plenty deep machine. I think the trick to getting good depth with any machine is to find a machine that you really understand. Then the characteristics of deep targets you will understand. In my hands, I can consistently spank people with machines that cost twice the money. I think the 7.5Khz DD coil is a must have. You will learn more about how different frequencies act more than anybody else who has any other machine. Knowing your frequencies and utilizing them for the different situations will make you a real good detectorist. You will get endless opinions on machines but the longer you are in the hobby, the more you will find that they all will detect coins deep in the ground.

I say do it, you will not regret it.

vondrewvious

Jan 15, 2008
Maine
I forgot to mention. The Xterra is not the best on the saltwater beach. This is typical of single frequency machines. It is ok but it is no Sovereign in the wet salt.

OP
OP
SomebodyElse

SomebodyElse

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2010
Clear Lake, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Thanks, I have searched everywhere for reviews on it and came up empty handed. I'll get the hang of land before I get in the water. I will be ordering in the next day or two. Thanks again, can't wait to get started!

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
700 its to much,even its new. buy second hand 70 they are the same, but now much cheaper.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe $700 is about right but, I would try to bicker for less. Also, to muddy the water a bit...Don't be afraid to look at the 505. It has a few less bells than the 705 but, what I have read is just a good. Also, I have the X-70 and to me, it was one of the easiest detectors to learn. It can almost be a turn and go machine or you can tweak it, your choice. Good Luck.

rocdoc

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2010
Austin Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Q

I've had mine for about two weeks now and love it. My previous detector was a whites quantum? So long ago. Easy to use but also tweekable for environmental conditions. Try a memeber called 4-H for pricing, he helped me out. Save your $$ and get a 10"Double D coil for the beach.

OP
OP
SomebodyElse

SomebodyElse

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2010
Clear Lake, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Wow! Thanks everyone on the input and the valuable info. Everyone made this pretty easy for me. I'm amazed at all the responses in the short time.

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also have the 70. I think i do reaaly well with it. It gets good depth, and i've had more expensive machines go behind me and i don't miss much. You will be happy with this machine. :icon_thumright:

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had the 705 for a few months now. Its a good machine. I have a number of the coils for it and have found that each will have its use depending on what you are hunting for and where. Out here in Colorado we have a pretty high amount of mineralization. It does vary from location to location though. I have found that the older towns/older neighborhoods have alot less. Why that is, I have no idea.

But if you have already ordered your 705, then you havent made a mistake. If you havent ordered it yet. Then dont worry. You are getting a good machine. This is coming from a guy who has owned a large number of different brands and kinds of machines over the years. And still own more than one. The 705 is good in that you can select your coil and frequency for the location and type of target you are hunting. Now having said that, I would rather minelab had made it possible to change frequency at the controls rather than having to change coils. They could have done the electronics to do that fairly simply. Of course, they wouldnt have made the extra money selling X-terra owners the extra coils. :tongue3:

You will need to invest in at least one or two other coils. I dont recall you mentioning if you are buying yours with just one coil or getting a multi coil package. If you can, get at least a 2 coil package and then save your bucks to get a third down the road. You should have one for each frequency and if you are hunting for a particular target, then maybe several in the frequency that is best for that target. I have 3 coils in the high freq and 2 in the medium. Still have to get the low freq coil. One of the first extra you get should be one of the small 6 inch in ether the medium or high freq. The medium freq one would likely be the best unless you are going to be hunting alot for gold. The 6 inch will help you alot when you are hunting in areas with a high concentration of junk and with getting closer to fences and other obstructions. The six inch helps you get in between the junk to find the good stuff. Anyway, now that I have you totally confused... :icon_scratch: I hope not...but I do hope you get the 705, and I think someone mentioned maybe you getting the 505..and he is right to an extent...the extra bells and whistles is what I liked about the 705. But thats me. Good luck and I hope you get it soon and get out there finding the treasure. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
SomebodyElse

SomebodyElse

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2010
Clear Lake, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
old_goldchaser said:
I have had the 705 for a few months now. Its a good machine. I have a number of the coils for it and have found that each will have its use depending on what you are hunting for and where. Out here in Colorado we have a pretty high amount of mineralization. It does vary from location to location though. I have found that the older towns/older neighborhoods have alot less. Why that is, I have no idea.

But if you have already ordered your 705, then you havent made a mistake. If you havent ordered it yet. Then dont worry. You are getting a good machine. This is coming from a guy who has owned a large number of different brands and kinds of machines over the years. And still own more than one. The 705 is good in that you can select your coil and frequency for the location and type of target you are hunting. Now having said that, I would rather minelab had made it possible to change frequency at the controls rather than having to change coils. They could have done the electronics to do that fairly simply. Of course, they wouldnt have made the extra money selling X-terra owners the extra coils. :tongue3:

You will need to invest in at least one or two other coils. I dont recall you mentioning if you are buying yours with just one coil or getting a multi coil package. If you can, get at least a 2 coil package and then save your bucks to get a third down the road. You should have one for each frequency and if you are hunting for a particular target, then maybe several in the frequency that is best for that target. I have 3 coils in the high freq and 2 in the medium. Still have to get the low freq coil. One of the first extra you get should be one of the small 6 inch in ether the medium or high freade the purchaseq. The medium freq one would likely be the best unless you are going to be hunting alot for gold. The 6 inch will help you alot when you are hunting in areas with a high concentration of junk and with getting closer to fences and other obstructions. The six inch helps you get in between the junk to find the good stuff. Anyway, now that I have you totally confused... :icon_scratch: I hope not...but I do hope you get the 705, and I think someone mentioned maybe you getting the 505..and he is right to an extent...the extra bells and whistles is what I liked about the 705. But thats me. Good luck and I hope you get it soon and get out there finding the treasure. :icon_thumleft:

Thanks, I m making the purchase from 4-h. Im excited to find some goodies!

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SomebodyElse said:
old_goldchaser said:
You will need to invest in at least one or two other coils. I dont recall you mentioning if you are buying yours with just one coil or getting a multi coil package. If you can, get at least a 2 coil package and then save your bucks to get a third down the road. You should have one for each frequency and if you are hunting for a particular target, then maybe several in the frequency that is best for that target. I have 3 coils in the high freq and 2 in the medium. Still have to get the low freq coil. One of the first extra you get should be one of the small 6 inch in ether the medium or high freade the purchaseq. The medium freq one would likely be the best unless you are going to be hunting alot for gold. The 6 inch will help you alot when you are hunting in areas with a high concentration of junk and with getting closer to fences and other obstructions. The six inch helps you get in between the junk to find the good stuff. Anyway, now that I have you totally confused... :icon_scratch: I hope not...but I do hope you get the 705, and I think someone mentioned maybe you getting the 505..and he is right to an extent...the extra bells and whistles is what I liked about the 705. But thats me. Good luck and I hope you get it soon and get out there finding the treasure. :icon_thumleft:

Thanks, I m making the purchase from 4-h. Im excited to find some goodies!

Good luck then. Hope you get it soon. 4-H is a good guy to deal with. You cant go wrong with him. I hope you were able to strike a deal and get several coils. Having those will help you alot. Especially getting the small coil. The standard coil is good, and is in the medium freq but having the small coil can be a big help even if you get it in the high freq. You will still be able to use it for pretty much the same targets as the medium freq one but it does open your field up for others. Thats not the right way to put it. It increases the sensitivity to other types of targets. I hope I am saying it right.

Anyway, whichever...enjoy, spend time learning the controls and learning some about how your detector is going to sound by doing air testing. Read your manual first, then air test a bunch of different items using different settings and different coils if you have them before you go outside to find stuff. If you learn your machine first as much as you can, before you actually use it then you will be more likely to find good targets and not just dig a bunch of junk and get discouraged. And if you find yourself just digging junk or think you arent reading and hearing things right, then go back to the air tests for a bit and read the manual a time or two again. I do admit though, the manual can be confusing. I am not a fan of it, they they try to diagram the settings.

If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask them here. There are alot of folks here that are happy to help. Me included though I dont get into the forums as much as I had been. Summer coming on, its detecting time.

Good luck and happy swinging.... Find that treasure. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread