Is there a national organization to try to change to laws in our favor?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope more ppl are aware of this we all need to get involved before its banned or requires a permit, having to ask permission isn't freedom.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Neo, the problem with any solidarity, like the fmdac, is that our numbers are so small in this geeky niche hobby, that there's not enough $$ to hire high-powered lobbyists. So it can't be compared to the NRA, for instance, since we have so few in our ranks.

And I'd also be careful of them, or anyone, going and "lobbying" any more than absolutely necessary (to fight something actually proposed, or already existing). Because if you or I run around trying to "pre-empt" any such rules, then sometimes it back-fires. Sometimes it can cause the VERY ATTENTION you and I sought to avoid, in the first place. Doh!

.... having to ask permission isn't freedom.

And be aware: You don't need to "ask permission", where it's not forbidden/prohibited, in the first place. If there weren't a rule at whatever place you have in mind saying "no metal detecting", then presto, it's not prohibited. And then no, you don't need "permission". No more so than you'd need permission to fly a frisbee, for instance.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just talking about permission when it comes to having permits to detect i hope i never see the day.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That day is already here. Ask the folks in NY (and other states/entities) how that is working out. I agree with Tom, keep quiet in the areas where there is no problem and save your political ammo for the outright bans. Just because we have a relatively little bank account doesn't mean we don't have voting power. There are many groups that are small, but vocal. We need to keep nagging them like a persistent mosquito until they reverse themselves.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just worried if we don't hop in the spotlight we'll be shoved off the stage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread