Is there a reliable "blue book" for coins?

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is there a reliable "blue book" for coins?

I have been throwing coins in a copper kettle for 30 yrs and decided that I need to go through the silver and wheaties to check on their value. I have always used the clad to buy batterys and coffee. All thats left are pennys, Mexican coins and silver. I don't even know what a key date is. I am sure some books are more reliable than others. Appreciate the help. Kenley

Letsgethammered

Feb 15, 2010
Re: Is there a reliable "blue book" for coins?

Yes , Whitmans issue the red book yearly , the pricing leaves much to be desired but it will teach you much more than prices.Theres also the blue book which is the issue a dealer might use and prices he might pay.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

The most reliable sources of value may be current coin auction results and sales on Ebay. Reference books offer you past values and prices-- some based on the price of precious metal values at the time of publication which may be totally outdated today.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola

The Official Red Book by R.S Yeoman put out by Whitman publishing is what most dealers I know go by but the prices can change between books so they also go by a weekly numisamatic newspaper. I don't know if it's the same with coins on ebay but I know with civil war relics, sound equipment and other things the prices can be erratic. Like you might have one item in one auction go for a lot higher or lower than the exact same type of item in another. The Red Book will give you a good idea of the value of a coin though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread