Is there a special name for this photo?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My moms not sure where it came from but it was in the box of stuff I bought from her. It looks like an old Victorian photo. It's small maybe an inch and 1.5 x 2" really hard to see the picture actually and it seems to be all black. There's a small frame that goes with it. No markings.. Any thoughts ? Thanks!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1454653653.702037.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1454653681.494279.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1454653697.887355.jpg

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
often the old tin type photos were often taken at death ...so the mourning kin folks would have a "image" of their dead loved ones --due to their cost few normal working class folks could afford one ... so getting your photo taken was a big deal --you wanted to look your very best ,,since very likely it might be the only one ever taken of you

your photo seems to be of a living well dressed middle aged female ...maybe the wife or elder daughter of a wealthy business man ... maybe a "desk photo"..--the name for those type of photos is "tin type" because they are are made on a copper metal base brushed with silver nitrate and developed with acid --which gave the photo a silverish shiney "tin metal" look ...if a dead person is in it (often adults laid out in a coffin) -- its called a "mourning photo"..it is very common for them to get quite dark with age ..

Last edited:

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a 1/16 plate ferrotype.

Here are two 'speed references' you can use to help with future identification:

41e8f715c49fd0f7d317ca4dbbaec9bc.jpg

(Plate sizes are ALWAYS approximates!)

3adb7f78e8ea85f1b2944368717b1861.jpg

~Tejaas~

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you both very much. This is the best web site I have ever found! The amount of info is unbelievable!

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ambrotype I believe, since it appears to be on glass.

S

stefen

there are also glass Lantern slides both black/white snd color...

Years back I found several hundred in a building that was being demo'd on a project site...

Still have those plus hundreds of negatives of missions and the like...buried in the attic somewhere.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread