Is there a strong market for used laptops?

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
The value of used laptops or desktops are questionable.

It depends on the CPU, memory and hard drive. If the laptop has a solid-state drive that is a plus especially if decent size.

Very old machines are not very valuable unless you find someone who likes to tinker or a collector.

I had my old Commodore 64 in the barn attic since the early 80s and you would think it would be worth something. I still had the instruction and programming books, cassette drive and some disk. Nope.

It's a crapshoot if you get anything worth your time spent to prepare for sale. You must remember to scrub the drive, and I don't mean simply deleting all files. The hard drive should be wiped with no less than 3 passes. Check the solid-state drive, was this used exclusively for the operating system? or was personal data stored there as well?

Sale or donate - scrub the drives.

Not wiping the drives could be a security risk in the area of personal identifying information (PII) and therefore identity theft.

OP
OP
lightspirt

lightspirt

Jul 26, 2023
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Spirit of the Universe
The value of used laptops or desktops are questionable.

It depends on the CPU, memory and hard drive. If the laptop has a solid-state drive that is a plus especially if decent size.

Very old machines are not very valuable unless you find someone who likes to tinker or a collector.

I had my old Commodore 64 in the barn attic since the early 80s and you would think it would be worth something. I still had the instruction and programming books, cassette drive and some disk. Nope.

It's a crapshoot if you get anything worth your time spent to prepare for sale. You must remember to scrub the drive, and I don't mean simply deleting all files. The hard drive should be wiped with no less than 3 passes. Check the solid-state drive, was this used exclusively for the operating system? or was personal data stored there as well?

Sale or donate - scrub the drives.

Not wiping the drives could be a security risk in the area of personal identifying information (PII) and therefore identity theft.
Dont know much about them. Cheap Auction buy. Was told it belonged to a Rock it scientist. A lot of xtras added to it. Souped up, software hardware, i guess. I will try and get more info. on it. Thanks for the info. dognose, its much appreciated .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread