Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For example, some links are twisted vs. straight. When did that style/method become popular?

Are there specific characteristics that can differentiate one era of smithing from another?

What's a good indication of machine-made chains, other than uniformity?

And what might indicate hand-forged chain vs. machine-made chain?

Thanks to any who reply.

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks - I was thinking more about agricultural and industrial chains than jewelry. I have some chain lengths that are likely to be pieces of cattle shackles and cart pulls. Was looking for ways to determine an average age.

EDIT: That link is enlightening, though. If they had a jewelry chain style 1000 years ago, I don't see why they couldn't use it 300 years ago to pull a cart or yoke livestock or horses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fishguy

Jun 20, 2013
Little River, SC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wrote a nice long post on dating necklace chains.... oh well. I know nothing about work chains sorry. Guess this is one of those cases where context should be read before replying.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
oh...sorry...large chains are similar technology...hammered, cast, or forged...you can date by those methods. if they are attached to other objects...those can also be identified by the same method...

photos help...

Upvote 0

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have nothing to substantiate this but I have always been told that the older chains had a longer, narrower link than our modern chains with a more egg shaped loop.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll post pics soon. I need a way to post HD close-ups, which I don't so much have at home (I could wing it, but I don't have great lighting for that.)

I was asking about generalities. On my chains, I know they're hand-forged due to the hammer marks and nonuniformity of the links. I was moreso looking for ways to figure out how old they might be.

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Modern chain the links are butt welded.

1AB.jpg Note the weld on the two links. The weld is on the left hand side.
Hand forged chain can be remarkably uniform and well made. The easiest way to tell is to look for the forge weld on the link. Rather than trying to go into great detail, check out the following site, which shows and tells how hand made chain is done.

Rural Blacksmith: Link by link, chain by chain.

In the fourth picture down, the pile of chain on the stump, the lowest link on the left hand side shows what the forge weld looks like. And if you look close at the one above it, you can see the line from the weld. As far as telling age, location would probably be the best clue. I found a chain in Nevada that looked like a cow pie. The chain had apparently been dropped of the back of a wagon, something where it ran into a pile, then the links had rusted together. The iron grain could be seen in the rust. Knowing that wagon trains had camped there, I figured that chain to date between the 1850's and the turn of the century at the latest.

From what I can find the earliest chain was BC and was for jewelry. The first steel chain was supposedly drive chain for bicycles. Here is the history of one company that still manufactures chain.

Laclede Chain Manufacturing Company has origins dating back to 1854, making us the oldest domestic chain manufacturer. We started business as a blacksmith shop in St. Louis, Missouri, manufacturing wagon hardware for the wagon trains heading west. Most significantly we produced breast chain, trace chain and anti-spreader chains to support wagons under load. This chain was made, as it is today, from drawn rod or wire, the difference being that it was all formed with a blacksmith's hammer and individually welded and joined over a hearth and bellows. By the 1890's, the company grew into an industrial concern selling chain and hardware on a national basis. In the early 1920's we purchased the new electric forming and welding machines from Europe. These machines were later reverse engineered and the company built numerous machines itself. By 1976 the company operated two chain manufacturing plants, one in St. Louis, and the other in Maryville, Missouri in the northwest corner of the state. In 1983 and 1984 the company began to look at the cost of maintaining a two-plant operations and examining ways to produce higher quality products with the best cost structure. This led to a 30,000 square foot addition at the more modern Maryville facility.

Without dates, there was supposed to be a time when chain was cast. I don't know how that would work. But one method was link and pin, and that was cast. I think they were talking about drive chain in that case though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread