is there an overtly convertly snobbery present ??????

metal mania

Jul 4, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is there a overtly covertly snobbery in this great hobby of ours ie my detector is better than yours costs more does everything but take your granny for a cup of tea on a sunny Sunday afternoon kinda of deal going down. Or is it a case that spending mega bucks = big finds or is it research=luck *equipment /time equation.

Upvote 0

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
There are some arrogant people when it comes to detecting just like every other area of life. I always like to call it "Little Man Syndrome". The price of a detector means jack **** basically. I know a guy who used an old blue box 5900 Whites for years and found tons and tons of good stuff. It's all about learning all you can about your machine and field experience. I mean heck, I could go out and buy the best golf clubs available...doesn't make me a good golfer.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
any "tool" is only as good as the the skills of the person using it * buying the very best tools will not make you a qualified to build a house or repair a car

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
People only ask that question because they are confused because of so many choices. I was that person when i started, and some very nice people helped me out. I had a friend in my home town that wouldnt even help me because he thought i would steal his spots, but he now has no friends and i have many more spots than he does. So dont get frustrated because someone asks the question just think of it as community service, mentor program, or just being nice and helping someone. Because remember everyone needs help sometime and that advice you give might come back to some good luck for you, so please dont stop helping the newbies, because remember when you were a newbie?

Last edited by a moderator:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
People only ask that question because they are confused because of so many choices. I was that person when i started, and some very nice people helped me out. I had a friend in my home town that wouldnt even help me because he thought i would steal his spots, but that a$$hole now has no friends and i have many more spots than he does. So dont get frustrated because someone asks the question just think of it as community service, mentor program, or just being nice and helping someone. Because remember everyone needs help sometime and that advice you give might come back to some good luck for you, so please dont stop helping the newbies, because remember when you were a newbie?
Very well put. What goes around comes around. TTC

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I do try to help folks but part of helping is honestly explaining the "real world" of metal detecting to folks many mistakingly think it just "flip the switch" and gold and silver just "pops' up out of the ground running to ya --sad but true theres folks out there that are like that sadly .

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think a lot of these people are posing. They ask the question and then their friend answers by putting down another brand. I say when you put down another brand it means you have nothing much to say about the one you are using. Then you get the "my detector went deeper" but they don't mention they had a different coil that couldn't find crap in a dog patch if the area is trashy. Fact is most detectors are close enough in performance it comes down to what features you want and need. Like the race car analogy, more horsepower doesn't necessarily win the race. And some of these people are in it for the money.

teleman 2525

Bronze Member
May 9, 2010
newport vermont
Detector(s) used
whites xlt minelab explorer se pro
no i think not i first got on this web site with 100,00 used bounty hunter 505 made many nice finds with this detector to me very under rated this was the first detector i became one with so to speak i new what it said and had lots of real fun with it after all that is why we do this is it not then i upgraded to a whites xlt excellent detector much more to lear harder to become one with but the learning came with help from folks on this very forum got into hunting colonial sites found my first old coppers i now own a explorer se pro i love this detector but still hold great respect for my old 505 and xlt my explorer gets deeper finds yes but the xlt got 7 silver coins in one day and i new they were each silver before i dug them and the 505 got a1946 class ring i gave back to the son of the woman who lost it as she had passed away a while ago the smile and heart felt thanks priceless detecting memories snopes we are not but we can pump up are detectors and kind of fall in love with them i call my se pro snoopy and he,s my friend good hunting all

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there brand loyalty? Absolutely!
Do I care? Not really.

One thing that I see missing from the posts of those in favor of simple machines, is the understanding that not everyone that has an expensive machine got it to find deeper treasures. It's all about information. Sure a less expensive detector will find most of the same stuff, but part of what I paid for is more information, so I might know better what NOT to dig. It's not all about accurate target ID on a screen, and it's not all about multi-tones, or about the quality of those tones, or a depth indication. It's about all of that, compiled and sorted by a much more powerful processor...my brain.

The element of curiosity is still intact. Even if I know that it's a dime or quarter target down there, I don't know that the date or condition of it is, or what mint it was produced in, or who dropped it how long ago. However, if I can disearn that it's trash and skip it, and make my time more productive, what's wrong with that?

Dont get me wrong. I have a beep and dig no digital display machine, and a low end Fisher too. Each has it's merits, and every machine on the market has it's devotees.

Remember what they said when the old lady kissed the cow...."it's all a matter of taste."

Happy Harry

Feb 15, 2008
San Mateo County California
Detector(s) used
ACE250,Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I now have two detectors. Each for a specific type of hunting. They are both from the same manufacturer. The machines are totally different. The first machine I have used for 4 years and am completely comfortable using it in many different settings, applications. The newer maching is to be used in highly mineralized soil and salt beaches. I am still learning its many different nuances. I have only a few hours with this new machine. If experience holds steady I will begin to understand, what this machine is reading, in about one hundred hours. I MAY consider myself good with it in about 200 hours. In addition where I hunt is important, research is the key. You cannot find something that is not or never has been there, no matter how cheap or expensive your machine . HHHH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread