Is there anything a girl should do differently when learning water detecting?

P

pinniped

Actually, it's a prototype for a new Star Trek critter. ??? Yes, it is a large cuttlefish in Papua New Guinea. Stayed there and played for quite a while! I was trying to figure out how to ut it in the left side the way all of you have photos, but it ended up on the bottom. At least I know how to add pictures of any future finds, right?

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
During the summer I went on vacation with my mom and we visited my friend.? I hit the beautiful beach to do some metal detecting as the beach where I live is just plain nasty. lol? ?So I was detecting for quite a while and then my mom and my friend had to leave to use the restroom and to go home and let the dog out for a little while.? They asked me if I wanted to go and then come back, but I was doing to well I didn't want to leave.? So I stayed and detected by myself for about an hour and a half, and had no car to leave if I wanted to.

There were several people when my mom and friend left but as the time went on there was? one man that I saw from the beginning and he stayed at the beach even after everyone had left.? Well, at this point I thought I'm not turning my back on him, and I'm keeping my eyes on him at all times.? He had something attached to his belt but I couldn't see what it was at first, and I thought maybe it was a knife or something.? ?Well, it turned out it was only a cell phone, but I felt uneasy while I was detecting and he kept walking around the area I was in.

So I looked directly at him and from a safe distance made some small talk about the coins I had found, nothing special-but still a lot of fun.? This way I figure the guy would think I didn't have anything worth stealing and that I wasn't "afraid" of his presence.? ?He spoke a little and then left about 15 mintues later.? I really didn't trust him, and I did start to worry but I played it cool and confident as I usually do.? I thought if worst comes to worst I would throw sand in his eyes and hit him in the head with my heavy digging tool if need be.? Of course I'm joking,but would do it if put into that situation.

Try to stay safe and detect with a partner if possible.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Is there anything a girl should do differently when learning water detecting

Just remember to ride the dredge hose sidesaddle! LOL ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D (A crowd)

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
I like the S&W. I ususlly have a close friend ( gun that is not ever visable to the public ) on me or in my digging pouch that is on me when I go out. Unfortunatly, even schools & parks( after hours & weekends ) are often gathering sites for gang banger types. In a confrontation situation, straight out intimidation usually works well as long as you are beleiveable. ( You could always wear a whistle around your neck & if you think you need assistance, use it & you will be heard or scare the crap out of the problem person. )

I try to attract as little attention as possible & I always have some small trash items to show when asked, "what are you finding". If I were a female detectorist, I would consider a detecting partner besides your S&W if you can find one, but as said earlier, they are not always available when you want to detect. Just use good old common sense & ALWAYS BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS! It is very easy to be so caught up in what you are doing that you forget to keep an eye out for any problems.

You could always fix up a light weight vest to wear with SWAT, FBI, DEA, Public Works Dept, Radio Active or HIV POSITIVE stenceled on the back in orange glow paint. Most people who might bother you won't want to talk to any kind of an official.

Most of all, have a great time detecting & post your finds here on the FORUM. We all like to read anything you feel like posting. Now that I have your attention about detecting, let me tell you about the twelve step program for detectorists, yada yada yada.
Spotz

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Stenciling "public works dept" on a black vest seems like a good idea for a guy or a girl detecting, I may try that ;D

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Besides what has been said before, don't let anyone see the gold ring or chain you take out of your scoop. Quietly slip it into a pocket away from the coins and trash for non to see. Look at it later at home. If a swimmer asks what your doing, tell them and show the trash if they want to see. I've been known to tell kids that pester me that I am just looking for a drowned kid and if they bump into them to call me. This usually clears the area and you have peace and quiet.

LOL,
Sandman

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
Very funny Sandman.
I think I will use that one myself.
You do bring up an important point.
Regardless of your gender, don't flash your finds!
People are resentful, devious and dishonest. They will try to claim it, or possibly rob you. Out of pure spite and resentment, they may file a complaint With the local government, police, hotel, etc.
I have run into it a couple times when just coin shooting at schools and parks.
I do not think its rude detectorists so much as pure human spite that causes most of our problems.
Envy is ever-present.
Hugger

P

pinniped

Today was my first day of MD'ing on the beach, and even though I was with my husband, I really took what you guys said to heart. I kept my eyes out for any trouble, human or water borne, but it was easy to become engrossed with what you were doing. Gary was completely oblivious. At times there were lots of people around, and at others, almost nobody. Problems could very easily evolve. Thanks for the input!

D

Darod

Re: Is there anything a girl should do differently when learning water detecting

Doctor Detroit, Pinniped,

It seems as if you two are the one's being addressed here with the answers.

I think that gypsyheart has offered the best advice in terms of female protection while hunting. Gypsyheart has done a good job of covering all the bases, great job Gypsyheat! There are bits and pieces of advice throughout the rest of the posts that are all useful in terms of actual detecting.

I'd say that some are obvious and some are a bit more subtle. For example, a nice long handled digging scoop is a must! If you in 6 inches of what it won't make much of a difference, however, if your in 3 feet of water the scoop will be the only way you can dig up your finds at all!

What was not mentioned is that you should purchase a very nice/large magnet and mount it inside the bottom of the scoop. The magnet will catch and hold onto metal objects/trash and make it much easier to get them out of the water where you'll just detect them on your next swing! Smaller metal pieces tend to just float around and drive you crazy!!!!!!! The magnet will help a great deal on this.

Another thing that was not mentioned is the "way" you detect in water. Now, I may get some disagreement on this but when your swinging' on dry land you can swing at a descent speed once you get used to your rig. In water however you need to slow it WAY down. Pinpointing is not near as easy in water! Especially if you've managed to stir up the bottom so much that your just looking at what resembles a cup of Java at your legs. Slow down your swing and just enjoy the water.

Hope these suggests help. There are many more I could make but I don't want to sound like a "know it all".

Keep in mind that the original question/post was very generic and didn't mention if it was safety or detecting skills that were in question. So, good luck with it all and keep your husband around if you can while your working the water.

Good luck,
Rod

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions