Is there anything that these people didnt toss into their yard?

Vaquero45

Jan 21, 2012
Brunswick County, VA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there anything that these people didn't toss into their yard?

This is the last couple days of digging. There were also a few pennies from 55-01. The oldest thing was a Chinese coin I posted in the "what is it" forum.

I'm getting a little discouraged. With the date of the property I expected at least a silver coin or two. Maybe I just have to remove more junk.

image.jpg

Upvote 5

chiefdanaho

Jun 6, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
everything but the kitchen sink looks like..your hard work will pay off, sometimes it doesn't seem like it but when you least expect it, BOOM ..GL to you,

dan

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
everything but the kitchen sink looks like...

Actually, I think I see parts of a kitchen sink mixed in with his finds:).

Now it is just, "Everything but a silver coin"

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you have to de-layer all the junk to get the goods, keep at it!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Vaquero45,

Cjon455 is right. If you remove all of the surface and shallow iron eventually, if they are there, silver and other valuables will become easy to recover. I have hunted a few places like you are at now and layering is the only way to determine if the valuables are in the ground. Also, until your AT pro arrives, slow way down and listen to the whispers of silver. The AT Pro has a good iron audio feature, but you still need to remove the upper layers of junk before the goodies will be detected. Another thing I do is start with a lower sensitivity, remove the junk, increase the sensitivity, remove junk...etc. This takes time, but has always paid off in the long run. I hope you find lots of silver!

Regards,

Prairie Prowler

May 7, 2006
Midwest ILL
Detector(s) used
Fisher1266-/ CZ-20 / Sovereign XS/Excalibur II / Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most likely a farm site.found my share of these ..they usually have a ton of junk around them..I try to search around where the main house was good luck..

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah keep digging til you find Silver or this
IMG_20150326_124829471.jpg

OP
OP
V

Vaquero45

Jan 21, 2012
Brunswick County, VA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies.

I'll keep working on it.

I swear there isn't a single spot on that yard without some kind of signal.

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the looks of it...you're going to have to 'clean up' the yard a bit...all that junk is probably choking the signals. Keep at it.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is what I have done a couple of times in this "scenario"... with some success...
I pick an area to start... and work a 10x10... and work it till it is clean... then move to next area.

IF possible... get a couple of small stakes and some string or the likes to make your boxed area...
Then when done with that box... "pivot" over 2 stakes in whatever direction you choose.
Can even make a small map with notations to keep track.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bleh, all the junk would start discouraging me too. hope you make some decent finds soon

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know, it really depends on just how important your time is to you.

Some will tell you that the "goods" absolutely, positively, have to be there. The biggest trouble with this line of thought is
that they just might be right! With and emphasis on "might"! With that much garbage around there, I, too, might be inclined
to believe. But, at what expense? Is 10 hours enough? 20? A week? Month?

It's sort of a catch 22. The spots that hold the silver coins are mathematically being lessened over the years. Simply by how
many have equipment and desire to recover what was lost. So, does one work an exclusive spot to death or keeping looking for
the elusive "new" spot?

If I were to dedicate my free time to a spot like this. I believe I would either hire a backhoe and take off the top foot, pile it up and
just sift it. Then try the detector on the rest of the area. OR...barring that option. ;) I'd try to pick on an area of about 10-20 ft square.
Make it in what would probably be the most traveled area. Mark it off as was said, then set about cleaning EVERY thing out! (Maybe
start with a very powerful, big magnet!)

Either clean it with the detector or, just start an archeological dig and start taking off layer after layer and sift.

In any case, there is a LOT of work involved. I think I would need more evidence that the finds were going to be worth using up
all my free time for a long while. More evidence than, "keep a goin' bud!! it's just GOT to be there!! Somewheres!!"

Good luck to you and make sure you post that lonely roosie when you finally find him! ;) LOL

OP
OP
V

Vaquero45

Jan 21, 2012
Brunswick County, VA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha. Thanks for all the advice.

It hasn't been all bad. I have pulled up a couple things that are interesting to me...not valuable, but interesting.

I pulled out what appears to be a pretty old Chinese coin which I thought was really weird for the area. I got a small toy jeep that is all metal and the yellow paint is still pretty good. I also got an axe, minus handle of course, that I am giving to try to clean up and restore.

I've just been real surprised at the lack of coins so far. I'm sure something will turn up eventually. Someone had to drop something prior to 1955.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread