Is there anyting interesting here?

script7

Oct 31, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went down to the lake (Michigan) to look for some flat rocks for a zen garden project I have in mind to do. Also, to find some flat white rocks for kids to paint. Anyhow, I found a lot of interesting "Other rocks", not suitable for either of my projects...I have always loved rocks but I haven't collected them since I was a small child. So, I have no idea what any of these are, except the black ones I am going to use for my tiny zen garden, I think are basalt. Any help identifying the others would be greatly appreciated. I collected them in Zion, Illinois. Thanks!

File_000.jpeg

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool, I used to swim in Zion at the nuke plant. I do remember tons of rocks like yours.
For ID's a scratch test, a streak test, and if possible a specific gravity would narrow the search.

It's always good to reconnect with your inner kid.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

script7

Oct 31, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool hvacker, I use to swim there too in the 70s...despite all the warnings. I'm not glowing, that I know of :)
I will pick out the 3-4 that I am most interested in finding out more about and to the scratch, streak test. Also, in case anyone else is interested, here is one picture that I happened to take which shows just how close that, now defunct, nuclear power plant is to the beach..
File_000 (1).jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you mean they shut the nuke down? The 70's were when I used to swim there also.
I liked it there as I was usually alone. I couldn't get anyone to go with.
The plant really worried me as a melt down might have made a lot of places on the lake
uninhabitable.
Yup your picture is the place. I also liked to spend time at the dunes State Park. I had an interest in plants
and was surprised when I found a prickly pear cactus growing there.
I almost built a house in the area.

Upvote 0

Moesia

Oct 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
You managed to collect the most diverse pile of rocks in one place, well done! Do not try to scratch them or streak them they are rocks, not minerals. Just read if you have the time Essentials of geology, and you will understand what all these rocks are. Keep them. All black rocks are not basalt. Well done once more!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

script7

Oct 31, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it is completely closed now. But there was some issue with tearing down the structure because it was too expensive. I'm not sure now, but the last time I checked, the only people that worked there were security personnel. I've never been to the Dunes State Park, it is close, I might take a trip to explore.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

script7

Oct 31, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Moesia, I just picked up what caught my eye. I am working on art project to incorporated them into. I will get the book you mentioned, I just want to know what they all are.

Upvote 0

Moesia

Oct 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
When they are round like that they are all called conglomerate. They had a different parent rock from which they originated, and where later carried where you found them. Basalt, gabbro, sedimentary breccia, peridotitic rocks, volcanic rocks... Essentials of Geology lutgens is a simple to understand book, but others will do just fine.

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Hazelstone.jpg Lake Michigan is also known for it's lighting stones and it's pudding stones. Here is a Lighting Stone.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread