Is there some kind of bias against Minelab Machines?

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the reasons (if we can call them that) why some dislike Minelabs have already been posted here.

As for me I have nothing against the brand. I really liked the Sovereign GT and still brag on it.

There's no doubt Minelab makes a quality product.

I had the Explorer II and SE. I used the Ex.II for a short time and just didn't care for it. It didn't seem difficult to learn or use though. I got some helps from experienced users and read what I could find on it. It just didn't seem all that super deep to me and I didn't like the feel of it. I sold it and got the GT and loved it. The Minelab Sovereign GT is mega deep and super easy to use.

I never tried the SE and traded it off for another machine.

But like so many have written here way too many times, it's all about learning the machine. If I really wanted to do well with the SE Pro I probably could after using it for a time.

For me the big deal isn't the detector anyway. It's finding a good hunting location.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan Badger said:
For me the big deal isn't the detector anyway. It's finding a good hunting location.

Yeah, that's probably the best thing said so far.

Really makes me jealous to see people hitting virgin spots with their Ace 250's and pulling out old coins.

But I am not good at asking permission, and that's why my finds are limited to what I can find in these hard hit parks.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Walmart.JPG

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look at it this way. The FCC only allows so much power for a transmitting device. If you look at all your wireless or radio devices, they have to comply with the FCC guidlines for interference with other like devices. Maybe Minelab, being a foreign manufacturer, can get away with providing a more powerful product without having FCC oversight.
I have heard of certain individuals who have purchased a US made product and have upped the power of their machines to get more depth. If these electrical engineers are gaining more depth with their MD,s I am sure they are not letting any one else know what they are getting.
So that being said, all of the US manufacturers have to play on the same field and can only provide pretty much the same power between their products.

Just my 2 cents
Steve

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Hemisteve said:
I look at it this way. The FCC only allows so much power for a transmitting device. If you look at all your wireless or radio devices, they have to comply with the FCC guidlines for interference with other like devices. Maybe Minelab, being a foreign manufacturer, can get away with providing a more powerful product without having FCC oversight.
I have heard of certain individuals who have purchased a US made product and have upped the power of their machines to get more depth. If these electrical engineers are gaining more depth with their MD,s I am sure they are not letting any one else know what they are getting.
So that being said, all of the US manufacturers have to play on the same field and can only provide pretty much the same power between their products.

Just my 2 cents
Steve
You are so right the only way one detector can go deeper than another is with a bigger coil.......Unless you have a detector that was made before the new rules was put in by the FCC......And i think the ones made by Minelab and imported to the U.S.A. also have to go by the same rules the U.S manufactures go by............And no matter what detector you have they all have the same power and the only way to go deeper is with the larger coil.....

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Against my better judgement I've decided to post again. Right now business is slow and I'm in a posting mood :thumbsup:

While all detectors may put out the same power, not all handle it the same way. Some machines talk loudly (transmit) but are hard of hearing (cheap coils and receivers).

Minelab (and others) put a lot of quality into the receive sections of their machines. And too they wrap all that good electronic stuff into well built packages.

Minelabs are good machines and for some people they may be the way to go.

I've been at the hobby too long and tried too many machines. Today I focus on hunting locations and what detector I use is not nearly as important to me. The reason for this is I've discovered that all the top brands go deep if one knows how to use them correctly.

But the deepest machine on the market isn't worth a crap if there ain't nothing there ta dig!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Michigan Badger said:
Against my better judgement I've decided to post again. Right now business is slow and I'm in a posting mood :thumbsup:

While all detectors may put out the same power, not all handle it the same way. Some machines talk loudly (transmit) but are hard of hearing (cheap coils and receivers).

Minelab (and others) put a lot of quality into the receive sections of their machines. And too they wrap all that good electronic stuff into well built packages.

Minelabs are good machines and for some people they may be the way to go.

I've been at the hobby too long and tried too many machines. Today I focus on hunting locations and what detector I use is not nearly as important to me. The reason for this is I've discovered that all the top brands go deep if one knows how to use them correctly.

But the deepest machine on the market isn't worth a crap if there ain't nothing there ta dig!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:...Right on.. :thumbsup:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
only when the guy next to me is using one too.

Only Kidding :wink:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My primary water machine is a waterproofed Sovereign GTwith WOT coil, it's backup is an Excal 1000, the backup for both of them is another Sovereign GT with WOT coil.....(Not waterproofed)...........I never go to the beach with out all three with me............ :thumbsup:

If you like the Excal, you would love the way the Sov GT works in the surf.......................

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007
I have a Minelab X-70 and love it. I looked at the Explorer and decided against it because I have been told stories on of long learning curve. Minelab just came out with the new model Explorer with the lighterweight coil and better machine balance. This should put an end to the too heavy complaints. As much as I love my 70, I sometimes wish I would have got the Explorer. It's worth putting in the time to really learn a machine if you plan on using it a lot. Just look at an Explorer user who has taken the time to learn his machine. The finds are awesome. For the price, it's hard to go wrong with the X-70. It has so many features and works fantastic coin & relic shooting as well as finding gold nuggets with the prospecting mode. Pretty good reports from the beach hunters also. For a VLF machine, it's one of the best going for the price. I too have noticed that the Minelabs don't get a lot of mention on this site and it seemed rather strange to me. There are several other good brands on the market, but the Minelabs deserve to be placed right up with the best the others have to offer. Having a bad back, the X-70's lightweight is a godsend.

God hunting, John K

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Rifleman said:
I have a Minelab X-70 and love it. I looked at the Explorer and decided against it because I have been told stories on of long learning curve. Minelab just came out with the new model Explorer with the lighterweight coil and better machine balance. This should put an end to the too heavy complaints. As much as I love my 70, I sometimes wish I would have got the Explorer. It's worth putting in the time to really learn a machine if you plan on using it a lot. Just look at an Explorer user who has taken the time to learn his machine. The finds are awesome. For the price, it's hard to go wrong with the X-70. It has so many features and works fantastic coin & relic shooting as well as finding gold nuggets with the prospecting mode. Pretty good reports from the beach hunters also. For a VLF machine, it's one of the best going for the price. I too have noticed that the Minelabs don't get a lot of mention on this site and it seemed rather strange to me. There are several other good brands on the market, but the Minelabs deserve to be placed right up with the best the others have to offer. Having a bad back, the X-70's lightweight is a godsend.

God hunting, John K
:stop:....Rifleman ....I have the X-Terra 70 and the Sovereign GT ...I used the Explorer did not do a thing for me and the X Terra 70 i do like.....But.....My main detector is ...The...Sovereign GT....really really like that detector.....I don't think i have ever heard any one say a bad thing or heard a dislike about any of the Sovereign's....You can not say that about any other detector.....There is a reason..............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread