Is this a 1736 George II counterfeit Copper?

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Date is tough to see but pretty sure its 1736. Appears to be a halfpenny but the size and weights are off. Is this just a dug specimen with heavy wear? Or is it a counterfeit? The weight is 7.9 grams, diameter is 28.12mm. Thanks for any help, I purchased this in a bag of coins at an antique store for $5.

img185.jpg img186.jpg

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's close enough to regal you'd have to make a good case to call it counterfeit. Many of the George II young head halfpennies are cast which usually puts them well under weight, and the struck ones can be pretty thin which also puts them well under weight, and being a new die things can often stand out as being counterfeit. There's no doubt some that are struck are extremely close, but you have to ask yourself when taking into account the wear was cheat to what, 1 gram maybe? was it really worth it. That being said some counterfeits are over-weight so you never know for sure. So I think you would have to take a very close look at that one to determine regal of counterfeit, an analysis that's not really worth it because at the end of the day it's not going to make any difference because ctfts were accepted then, and are still accepted now along side the genuine coins.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you IP, really appreciate your response and thanks for sharing your knowledge. By the way, awesome blacksmith token you dug recently! Never heard of them until you posted it.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you IP, really appreciate your response and thanks for sharing your knowledge. By the way, awesome blacksmith token you dug recently! Never heard of them until you posted it.

It seems there's just two segments of collectors who are familiar with the Blacksmith tokens... those who collect/have interest in Canadian Colonial tokens, and those who are into counterfeit halfpennies. The first group would no doubt be made of mostly Canadians, at least by percentage, and the 2nd is definitely made up of mostly Americans. I am very interested in both of those types of coins so I guess it makes a lot of sense I'd like Blacksmith tokens and as I said in my post have been waiting many years to find one.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Genuine, possibly 1730. Hair tones joins head in tiny ball, thin flan copper, curving backward sprig in arm points to T.

This from a book I recently purchased (limited edition) Counterfeit Georgian Copper Coins, a guide to identifaction of Georgian Counterfeit, imative and evasive copper coins circulating in Great Briton, Ireland and the Colonies of America & Canada from the 1700s to 1830s

SS

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Genuine, possibly 1730. Hair tones joins head in tiny ball, thin flan copper, curving backward sprig in arm points to T.

This from a book I recently purchased (limited edition) Counterfeit Georgian Copper Coins, a guide to identifaction of Georgian Counterfeit, imative and evasive copper coins circulating in Great Briton, Ireland and the Colonies of America & Canada from the 1700s to 1830s

SS

Just took a look and see it actually lists values. I can't see how it would be very accurate as it's just something that varies so much and changes over time. It's been said to me some Americans take issue with some of the information, and that would not surprise me because they are the experts when it comes to these. That said, I am definitely buying a copy! :thumbsup:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just took a look and see it actually lists values. I can't see how it would be very accurate as it's just something that varies so much and changes over time. It's been said to me some Americans take issue with some of the information, and that would not surprise me because they are the experts when it comes to these. That said, I am definitely buying a copy! :thumbsup:
Was told by the seller there were only 60 copies, but wonder if this is true, I'm not a big reader of books but this one's a bit interesting.

I don't hold out to values given in books, especially Spinks, after all they are just a guide, and you know as well as I do there are a lot of variables to take into account, and at the end of the day it's what somebody is willing to pay.

SS

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Was told by the seller there were only 60 copies, but wonder if this is true, I'm not a big reader of books but this one's a bit interesting.

I don't hold out to values given in books, especially Spinks, after all they are just a guide, and you know as well as I do there are a lot of variables to take into account, and at the end of the day it's what somebody is willing to pay.

SS

Great book. Worth picking up a copy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread