• S00189.PNG
    S00189.PNG
    106.5 KB · Views: 605

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The size and being square, I would say it is a barge.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Yes, it does look like a barge. When lobster season starts, it sure would be a great place to look. That's one treasure that I like that doesn't glitter. :icon_pirat:

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
I would say so, but the rib like structure kind of has me puzzled. Its also about 100' long! Definitely worth a dive to see what it is or whats on it!

Here's a picture of dredge barge I located a few years ago using the Humminbird.

Attachments

• dredge barge.jpg
    dredge barge.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 493

JT

Mar 14, 2005
Johns Island, South Carolina
FWT, if that scan was taken in a lake, I'd venture a guess from the appearance of there being a depression that what you're looking at is a section of roadway maybe coming from a collapsed bridge.

billfishbelize

Jun 21, 2010
central america
Detector(s) used
fisher cz-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I read this right you are in less than 20' of water. Most barges Ive seen have at least 10' sides,point im making is you should get wet and have a look. BB

bronzecannons

Sep 1, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
billfishbelize said:
If I read this right you are in less than 20' of water. Most barges Ive seen have at least 10' sides,point im making is you should get wet and have a look. BB

If the water depth is only 20 feet deep that looks too small to be a barge.
TW

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Yes, 19.5 would be the height of the "transducer" off the bottom. Since he is using a Humminbird unit its most likely hull mounted versus a towfish, but he did not say for sure.

One big factor asside from depth in determining the size, if you notice the range is set to 110' and the barge extends from the very first return on the bottom to the very last return. So its length is somewhere around 100'.

I had never considered a bridge or road section, but that makes sense. It could be the girders we are seeing.

Robert

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread