Is this a basalt scraper?

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw some pics earlier from Grim. Decided to go out for the day and look in the plowed field where I walk my dog. Saw this in the dirt picked it up and cleaned it up a little when I got home. It looks to be knapped several times and looks similar to scrapers I have seen here on the forum just black. You may have to open the pic to get a better look. Could it be real?

View attachment 1358405

Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
fine grained basalt flakes like that naturally....I know places where you can pick up such items by the bucket full. It is very sharp and sounds almost like glass when you strike it.

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know where there is a whole mountain of basalt where I live, and it was definitely used to make tools, but when they made them it was very obvious, as you can see in the pics.(These are all made of basalt) There are THOUSANDS of flakes out there that look just like what you have there, so I am inclined to think from what I see that it is natural. I am not an expert. But, you can see the work done on the edge of the big scraper in the last pic.(click the pic to zoom in) This is what you want to see to know what you have found is an artifact. The rock you have there looks just like the rock in my area, it even has the same type of greenish/gray cortex I can see on your rock. I hope this helps!

Attachments

• 1473970940499.jpg
    1473970940499.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 1473970975945.jpg
    1473970975945.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 1473971023622.jpg
    1473971023622.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know where there is a whole mountain of basalt where I live, and it was definitely used to make tools, but when they made them it was very obvious, as you can see in the pics.(These are all made of basalt) There are THOUSANDS of flakes out there that look just like what you have there, so I am inclined to think from what I see that it is natural. I am not an expert. But, you can see the work done on the edge of the big scraper in the last pic.(click the pic to zoom in) This is what you want to see to know what you have found is an artifact. The rock you have there looks just like the rock in my area, it even has the same type of greenish/gray cortex I can see on your rock. I hope this helps!

Thanks for the examples.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread