elenk

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2012
Columbia, MD
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Raven 25
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this item this morning before work and immediately thought it was some kind of buckle but I really don't know. It was 5-6" deep and found in a park in central Maryland. I don't see any writing or marks on it. I would appreciate any help I can get from you all on what it is and how old it is. Also if anyone has an idea on what kind of metal it is made of that would be appreciated as well. I think it is copper or bronze but it is just a guess.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

This first picture shows the back of the item and I put a penny and paperclip in the picture for size reference.

photo3.JPG

This picture shows the front of the "buckle" and this older unknown coin.

photo4.JPG

This picture still shows the front of the "buckle" and the other side of this unknown coin.

photo5.JPG

Any identification help or suggestions cleaning the items would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

elenk

OP
OP
E

elenk

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2012
Columbia, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the post Pete. I don't think there is anything decorative or ornamental about this piece, at least with this corrosion on it. There may be some engraving under the oxidation and green corrosion but I won't know for sure until it is cleaned. Maybe I should soak it in something. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No don't see much either but that's what it is.Being it looks like copper.You can boil it in peroxide for a few mins. Then dump it out on a paper towel & let it dry.After drying use a toothpick & gently go over the surface.Then just rub in your fingers a few mins. to get the oils from your hand.otherwise not much can be done.It's a nice example of a rosette.Sometimes it looks like there might be a star on the face of it.But it is what it is.....
Take Care,
Pete

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When found on a 1.5-inch-to-2.5-inch brass disc, that type of attachment (shaped like a big staple, made of wire) is distinctively characteristic of a horsegear rosette.

Some rosettes are plain-faced. As far as Identification goes, it doesn't matter whether your rosette has designs on its front or not, it is still definitely a horsegear rosette.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

elenk

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2012
Columbia, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I missed your links Pete. I totally agree now. At first I wasn't sure what a rosette was ...... a cookie stamp ...... no clue. But after looking at those links, I agree. I guess there is no harm in trying to clean it so I'll give that a try. Thanks for the identification information (Pete, TheCannonballGuy).

Upvote 0

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I missed your links Pete. I totally agree now. At first I wasn't sure what a rosette was ...... a cookie stamp ...... no clue. But after looking at those links, I agree. I guess there is no harm in trying to clean it so I'll give that a try. Thanks for the identification information (Pete, TheCannonballGuy).

No problem,:thumbsup: I meant to say copper alloy in my post above, yours being brass,copper it self would be to soft.Cannonball Guy is a good deal of help and knowledge
here in the what is it forum.
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

elenk

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2012
Columbia, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do either of you guys want to take a guess at how old it might be?

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You asked for a guess about your horsegear rosette's age.

There are several "forms" of rosette:
Simple sheetmetal brass disc with the attachment-wire/bar soldered or brazed onto the disc's back
Stamped "domed" sheetmetal brass or pewter, filled on the back side with lead/solder
Solid-cast brass or pewter (thicker than sheetmetal)
2-piece construction (stamped sheetmetal brass front piece, crimped over an iron or brass back piece (like a 2-piece button)

Your rosette's very simple construction (a sheetmetal-brass disc with the attachment wire/bar soldered/brazed onto the disc's back) indicates it most probably was made before the 1880s. Around that decade (or a little bit earlier), rosettes began to be made as a "two-piece" construction.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

elenk

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2012
Columbia, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the awesome response! I love this hobby and I love this site.

elenk

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread