Is this a cannonball fuse? Need Cannonball guy help.

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I have only dug 1 fuse over 10 years ago , I have seen many , but none that look like that .
Is it Hollow at all ? Or Threaded on the out side.

IMO It's Likely a 'Pin ' to hold something in place, but could be wrong.
Davers

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Viewed from the side (as in your photo) it does closely resemble a civil war Hotchkiss Type One Percussion fuse's "slider" and also one from a Confederate West Point Percussion fuze. Also, it is the right size to be one. But none of those were made of iron. If you're sure your find is iron, it isn't a civil war artillery fuze or a part of one. But I must add, I applaud you for doing the smart thing... keeping it and checking for identification here, instead of just tossing it away in the woods. MANY people, after I've identified a fuze for them, have told me they'd previously found a civil war fuze but left it in the woods because they thought it was just an old plumbing-part.

Because the resemblance is so close, I'll ask to see photos of both ends. There should be a small hole in the center of the wide end, which becomes a large hole in the center of the narrow end.

Last edited:
OP
OP
alabama11

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for the for the replies. I cleaned the ends and there is not a hole in either one. The metal is bright silver color which is what made me think the cap end was probably brass. Oh well. Going to put it in in the molasses treatment to remove the rust as someone on this site has outlined. best,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread