Is this a coin, token, medallion, challenge coin...?

boss driver

Dec 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Dues, AT Pro, Tesoro Sand Shark, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tried this in the tokens Forum...no luck.
Found this detecting. Can't find it anywhere on the net...yet. Size of a half dollar and has the "feel" of the military challenge coins.
IMG_6048.JPG IMG_6047.JPG

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of writing is that? Foreign for sure.

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The writing looks to be Japanese in nature... it maybe a votive offering of some kind? :icon_scratch:

"A votive offering or votive deposit is one or more objects displayed or deposited, without the intention of recovery or use, in a sacred place for religious purposes. Such items are a feature of modern and ancient societies and are generally made in order to gain favor with supernatural forces. Some offerings have apparently been made in anticipation of the achievement of a particular wish, but in Western cultures from which documentary evidence survives it has been more typical to wait until the wish has been fulfilled before making the offering. Other offerings were very likely regarded just as gifts to the deity, not linked to any particular need."

Dave

Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The writing looks to be Japanese in nature... it maybe a votive offering of some kind? :icon_scratch:

"A votive offering or votive deposit is one or more objects displayed or deposited, without the intention of recovery or use, in a sacred place for religious purposes. Such items are a feature of modern and ancient societies and are generally made in order to gain favor with supernatural forces. Some offerings have apparently been made in anticipation of the achievement of a particular wish, but in Western cultures from which documentary evidence survives it has been more typical to wait until the wish has been fulfilled before making the offering. Other offerings were very likely regarded just as gifts to the deity, not linked to any particular need."

Dave

I'm thinking Hindu or Arabic versus Japanese.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
boss driver

boss driver

Dec 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Dues, AT Pro, Tesoro Sand Shark, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks Arabic to me. It’s made from the same material as challenge coins, same thickness as well but obviously not a military challenge coin. Still scouring the internet for a clue.

Upvote 0

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen this coin on Tnet before. Search the archives. From what I remember it belongs to a club that is all about nature and freedom etc... The characters is a private language

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have seen this coin on Tnet before. Search the archives. From what I remember it belongs to a club that is all about nature and freedom etc... The characters is a private language

I get that same feeling that its a psuedo language

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took another crack at this one. I still can't ID the language or the alphabet, but there's not much doubt in my mind that the tree is the Celtic 'Tree of Life'.

Or maybe it's related to Ireland. The Sun-moon-stars motif on the reverse also seem to fit into the Celtic/Irish culture.

I compared the "letters" to Runic, Gaelic, Celtic, Viking, Elvish, and some other Middle Earth alphabets and... Well... It's all Greek to me... :dontknow:

Upvote 0

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On second thought. It do think it is a shire coin of some sort. Because it has the date 1402, most of the shire coins have dates in the low 1400s.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On second thought. It do think it is a shire coin of some sort. Because it has the date 1402, most of the shire coins have dates in the low 1400s.

Once I knew what to call it (Shire coin), I found another.

Elven 10 silver coin:

elvish dime.JPG

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thats a great ID Noah D and DCMatt and this deserves a SOLVED designation.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread