is this a dovetail

outlawatheart

Jan 19, 2011
Hamilton County IL.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX Spectrum
DSC09700.JPG DSC09701.JPG DSC09703.JPG very small and worked too almost nothing and has the characteristic tail. The twist on this piece is very pronounced.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
outlawatheart

outlawatheart

Jan 19, 2011
Hamilton County IL.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX Spectrum
some types dovetails are very heavy beveled here, just haven't seen one worked down so far plus it seemed to have been a small point in its beginning and most points of its type are bigger here. That's what made me question it.
Looks like a bevel. Knife.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are several different base configurations for the Thebes.. Including convex ...if it is ground on the base I would say that's likely what it is.
Some are more side notched some are more corner notched as well

OP
OP
outlawatheart

outlawatheart

Jan 19, 2011
Hamilton County IL.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX Spectrum
the little one does show grinding and looks like the little center notch was done after. hard to see the notch in the photo. The big point shows no grinding.
There are several different base configurations for the Thebes.. Including convex ...if it is ground on the base I would say that's likely what it is.
Some are more side notched some are more corner notched as well

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Center notch would get me leaning towards St. Charles.

Anything worn down to that size would likely appear have a ground base just from wear in the halfting.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you find Harden or Scottsbluff points at that same site?
They are closely associated with the "Dovetail" in most instances.
Otherwise dovetail in and of itself is used to describe at least nine different subtypes unless specifically speaking of the St Charles point.. The generalization "dovetail" embodies the attributes of many different types and is likely over used by a lot of collectors .. And is actually different types all together

OP
OP
outlawatheart

outlawatheart

Jan 19, 2011
Hamilton County IL.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX Spectrum
I have a couple of turkey tails from there and a general mixing of different types over the years. several drills too. most stuff found in that area is well made.
Do you find Harden or Scottsbluff points at that same site?
They are closely associated with the "Dovetail" in most instances.
Otherwise dovetail in and of itself is used to describe at least nine different subtypes unless specifically speaking of the St Charles point.. The generalization "dovetail" embodies the attributes of many different types and is likely over used by a lot of collectors .. And is actually different types all together

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
Yep, it's most likely a notch-based dovetail that's been heavily resharpened. It's not a Thebes.

St. Charles is the actual name for the type as described at the type site and named for St. Charles County, Missouri by Skully I believe. However, most collectors still call them Dovetails. There isn't any difference between Dovetail and St. Charles. But yes, there are many different basal configurations including button based, hip-roof style, wide-based, etc.

Hippy

OP
OP
outlawatheart

outlawatheart

Jan 19, 2011
Hamilton County IL.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX Spectrum
I agree not a Thebes...would love your opinion on this one Hippy DSC00049.JPG DSC00050.JPG I posted it as a dovetail and heard from a few that it might be Hopewell
Yep, it's most likely a notch-based dovetail that's been heavily resharpened. It's not a Thebes.

St. Charles is the actual name for the type as described at the type site and named for St. Charles County, Missouri by Skully I believe. However, most collectors still call them Dovetails. There isn't any difference between Dovetail and St. Charles. But yes, there are many different basal configurations including button based, hip-roof style, wide-based, etc.

Hippy

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen please stop the insults.

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Pay attention to the last opinion. He collects them, and probably knows more about them (and other things) than just about anyone here.

The other expert ( and I use the term loosely) should be citing who he's quoting.

Listen here... you can take your negative vibes and your over pushed personal opinions and and head for the door .
Your opinion is no better than anyone else in here and certainly no better than mine I've had enough of it and so have many others here.

outlaw you have a nice piece...looks heavily resharpened but that's all i know
you two are both my friends..and you should try being the same

there is nothing to be gained by pounding away on each other and it needs to stop....starting now please...bury the hatchet

larson1951

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Hey guys, I am not pounding away.

I think it's common courtesy, that if people are gonna copy and paste answers instead of giving their own, the original writer should get the credit.

From Overstreets, By Perino, or Rogers says"... for example.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After going over everything I agree with Hippy.
I copied and pasted nothing.. Just did the research and took the time to share it.... in my own words by the way

Last edited:

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
I agree not a Thebes...would love your opinion on this one Hippy View attachment 914645 View attachment 914646 I posted it as a dovetail and heard from a few that it might be Hopewell

Hey Outlaw,

Yep, that's definitely an early archaic and one of the dovetail sub-types. Most collectors like to call them "Hardoves" because the have traits of both a Hardin and Dovetail. Perino named a type called Ocala that looks similar but he named after Ocala, Florida so I don't think there is much information on them. When we find them they are usually in the same places as Hardins, Thebes, and other Doves. I think they probably were just shorter, wider variety of a dovetail and they really are a cross between a Hardin and a Dove.

I've pictured a couple of mine that would fit in the same category. I also have another picture at home of a piece that is nearly identical to that. I'll see if I can post it later.

Hippy

Attachments

• Hardoves.jpg
    Hardoves.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 67
OP
OP
outlawatheart

outlawatheart

Jan 19, 2011
Hamilton County IL.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX Spectrum
Wow Hippy those are most awesome! :notworthy:... I have found Thebes in the same area and have pulled out several Snyder type points too. Would appreciate your opinion on this one stillwell from old mans hill.jpg it was found on the same hill as the white one. Dovetails are my favorite!!! Thnx for taking the time to educate me sir.
Hey Outlaw,

Yep, that's definitely an early archaic and one of the dovetail sub-types. Most collectors like to call them "Hardoves" because the have traits of both a Hardin and Dovetail. Perino named a type called Ocala that looks similar but he named after Ocala, Florida so I don't think there is much information on them. When we find them they are usually in the same places as Hardins, Thebes, and other Doves. I think they probably were just shorter, wider variety of a dovetail and they really are a cross between a Hardin and a Dove.

I've pictured a couple of mine that would fit in the same category. I also have another picture at home of a piece that is nearly identical to that. I'll see if I can post it later.

Hippy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread