Is this a genuine silver two reale piece?

kebo (scnative)

Mar 7, 2015
Lexington, SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero; Tesoro Conquistador uMax; Teknetics Omega 8000, Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
Other
Last week I ordered this coin from "The Sportsman's Guide" which sells mostly hunting, fishing, and camping gear, but they carry a lot of other stuff as well. They had some "genuine" two piece silver reales on sale so I decided to get one. Mostly because I will probably never find one of my own in the areas that I hunt, and I just wanted one for my pitiful coin collection lol. It comes with a small, clear folder to store/display it in, and you can read the inscriptions in the pic's (I took the coin out for the pic's). One side of the coin is very sharp in detail, but the date side is worn very badly, so you can't tell a date on it. If I recall correctly, the picture they showed in the sale catalog had one that was dated 1873.

I imagine the story about the El Cazador sinking in a storm is true, but would lying on the ocean floor for so long cause the coin to wear smooth on just one side like that? The coin rings up as a solid 82-83 on the Racer, and a solid 82 on my early model Omega 8000. I don't doubt that it's silver, just wonder if it's truly a genuine coin from the 1800's since you can't read the date? The cost you ask? I paid a whole $19.95 for it, and then another $7 for shipping, so I didn't get gouged too bad on the price lol.

DSC02262.JPG

DSC02263.JPG

DSC02265.JPG

DSC02266.JPG

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd bet it is genuine. The good side shows the typical off center strikes you see on many reales. also look closely at the wear points, they are right where they should be.

The good side was protected, maybe by another coin,

The bad side shows deep cratering in spots, caused by salt and random scale deposits, leaving uneven spots.

You might find your own someday. I never had one on my bucket list, but got a one reale in late 2014. This is the date side with a light strike off to one side, the other side is mint, and sharp

Attachments

• DSCN0440.JPG
    DSCN0440.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 70

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe it to be real, cool coin!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread