Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it depends on what aspect of the coins is tempting you. If you are a fan of Eisenhower, president when I was a child, a great general and honorable president, that is one reason. If so, is a roll better than a single nice example? As a silver play, the silver of these 40% coins is only 0.3161 oz, less than the 0.36169 oz of a 90% 64 Kennedy half, so you are paying $6 for about 4.85 spot silver. If you are tempted by potentially high grades in the roll, would you be willing to take a chance on paying the fee to have them graded and slabbed? You can compare prices to the bullion silver sellers. Rolls of dollars, and 40% silver coins in general, take up a lot of room relative to their silver content compared to 90% coins. I see APMEX is selling 90% silver 64 Kennedy halves for the same $120 price, so more silver for the price, but not BU.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More than likely, they've already been high graded. It's not currently a real popular series to collect, but, who knows what the future popularity might be. The dates you mentioned are some of the key dates however. In '76, there are a couple of varieties that can bring a little more, but, like I mentioned earlier, they've probably already been plucked from the rolls. Like Don mentioned, it will depend on your motivation for acquiring them as to it being a good deal or not.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the chance to buy 4 rolls of 20 Ike’s. Each are 40% silver and supposedly B.U. 1971, 73, and 76’s each roll is $120. Never bought Ike’s so I’d like some opinions please and thank you!

I'd be a buyer at $90 a roll. I think $120 is too much of a premium for that. You could probably do better at a major coin show.

OP
OP
forkliftdriver

forkliftdriver

Sep 15, 2013
Western Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you to everyone for your advice! I decided to pass and spend my money on a better buy. Thanks again!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you to everyone for your advice! I decided to pass and spend my money on a better buy. Thanks again!

Good choice, sometimes 40%ers are hard to sell. When refining to 999 there is too much copper to remove and that drives the refining costs up.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you made the right choice

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread