Is this a good gold Pan?

RichOrlandoGuy

Greenie
Dec 3, 2012
Orlando,FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just ordered this as mi first pan :hello2: because I am heading to Rhode Island and Maine in a few days and I want to see of I could find any of the shiny stuff :goldbar:. I just wanted to get you guys opinions about the pan and share some knowledge to a rookie. Thank u and happy holidays.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/14-Blue-Pla...547?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256ca38853

Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That blue pan will certainly work. Good price. I prefer Garretts and the "Gold Grabber" from GPAA. These have DEEP 90 degree riffles. Then use your blue one for finishing. TTC

OP
OP
R

RichOrlandoGuy

Greenie
Dec 3, 2012
Orlando,FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was actually debating between that pan and the garret gravity trap or super sluice but the price of shipping on all the prospecting equipment sites were killing me. I mean 15 bucks for shipping a gold pan just didn't seem rite to me not even including the actual price of the pan. I just settled on this to start with to even see if theirs gold in RI or Maine as so I've heard. All I need now is a snuff bottle which I'll probably just get a eye drop container and I'll use a strainer as a classifier.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you, sir. I did what was expected, at the time, without question. The REAL heros are going to ground, like 1st class Nick Checgue. Pray for his family. Tnx. Terry

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And welcome to the net. TTC

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That pan would not be my first choice. I like the ones with the deep riffles as well. Just screen all your material, and take your time and it will work just fine for you. Where in Maine are you going? Coos Canyon should have some gold and not be froze up yet. Call Coos Canyon Rock and gift shop for better info on that though. Good Luck!

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My two prefered pans are the Garrett Gravity trap and the Blue Keene pans.
I have a few others too, but those two are the ones that I prefer.
The Garrett has a lifetime warranty.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing about the Garrett's with deep riffles is you can pan your material faster. Move more material- get more gold. :-)

JT1080

Sep 17, 2012
Santa Clarita
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Garrett pans, hex pans and GPAA pans are really popular. My first pan was like the blue one you ordered. When I got a GPAA membership, I got one of theirs with the Buzzard special. Since then i've used the GPAA one the most. Don't forget to get a nice classifier, a snuffer bottle is a MUST and maybe a Falcon cleanup pan. Like most folks here, I've used many a pan. You have to try a few and see what you like most. Thankfully pans are cheap.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whichever pan you get don't forget to scuff it some before you start using it.
A brand new pan has a slick film on it that will cause water to bead up and gold to slide right out. So at least scuff it enough to keep water from beading but not so much to leave deep scratches.

I usually use a hand full of fine wet sand and hand sand all the way around the inside and just lightly on the very bottom.

GG~

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Out of all the pans that I have, I always seem to go back to the GPAA Gold Grabber. I don't like the Garrett pans because the bottoms are such a small diameter, but the Super Sluice is a unique pan. It's big huge and great for panning the courser rocks out, then I dump it out into the Gold Grabber and finish panning it down. Last summer I started to use the finish pan by Falcon. It's light blue with no riffles, it works great for seperating gold and black sand.

OP
OP
R

RichOrlandoGuy

Greenie
Dec 3, 2012
Orlando,FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was actually looking at the gpaa website and looking at their equipment and it's pretty cheap. I think I'm going to order from them, now should I get a gpaa/garret deep riffle pan first or just get the falcon. Also does anybody know of a website that has everything I need without ridiculous shipping prices. I was looking at the trinity bowl with a sluice and was wondering if anybody has used it. Thx

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have quite a few from different manufacturers but my go to is the GPAA pan. I have large hands and that pan fits the best for me. The large lip on the bottom allows me to hold it without sqeezing and I can pan all day without cramping up. It's fast also.
Try out a few. You will know quickly which one is the right one for you.

JT1080

Sep 17, 2012
Santa Clarita
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RichOrlandoGuy said:
I was actually looking at the gpaa website and looking at their equipment and it's pretty cheap. I think I'm going to order from them, now should I get a gpaa/garret deep riffle pan first or just get the falcon. Also does anybody know of a website that has everything I need without ridiculous shipping prices. I was looking at the trinity bowl with a sluice and was wondering if anybody has used it. Thx

The Falcon is a cleanup pan, it will be something use use as final stage of recovery, usually folks do that part at home.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread