Is this a hatchet head ?

JDug

Aug 15, 2012
Frederick Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's V3I , Minelab CTX 3030 , Cibola, Deus, ATPro, GPX 5000. 4800, 4500, & 3500.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ax1.jpg ax2.jpg ax3.jpg ax4.jpg ax5.jpg ax6.jpg
I've been told this is not a hatchet head because it has no hole, and is flat instead of wedged. It just seems to solid of a piece to be random broken piece of steel in the shape of a hatchet. What's your guy's opinion, good or bad?

OP
OP
JDug

JDug

Aug 15, 2012
Frederick Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's V3I , Minelab CTX 3030 , Cibola, Deus, ATPro, GPX 5000. 4800, 4500, & 3500.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If I google image search early bronze age flat hatchet head, several come up but they don't have this modern shape.
I do know through a old census map from 1853 that the occupants at this homestead site were German.
These are the types that I see from the bronze age... bronze age.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Interesting piece JDug, but I am of the opinion that it is a randon broke peice of steel shaped like a hatchet. I've dug a lot of iron hatchets/axes and that just doesn't look quite like the real thing. I've found and lugged home several stone axes, only to find after closer examination, that they were just random broke pieces os stone shaped like a axe. I do hope someone will prove me wrong on your find though. Happy Hunting!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JDug

JDug

Aug 15, 2012
Frederick Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jeff,
That seems to be the consensus so far. We all want to dig up something unique or special and it might be clouding my judgement. It sure does look good with the rest of the iron targets I dug at this site though... HHH3.jpg
Thanks,
John

Upvote 0

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
I dig a lot of iron also John. Not only to get it out of the way in case it's masking one of those old coppers I like to go after, but also there are some cool iron relics to be found as you have discovered your self. They all tell part of the story of that site. I bet you there are plenty more goodies to be found at your site. Good luck and keep us posted!

Upvote 0

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm afraid it's just a random piece of metal.............Looks really cool though...............HH

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JDug

JDug

Aug 15, 2012
Frederick Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I dig a lot of iron also John. Not only to get it out of the way in case it's masking one of those old coppers I like to go after, but also there are some cool iron relics to be found as you have discovered your self. They all tell part of the story of that site. I bet you there are plenty more goodies to be found at your site. Good luck and keep us posted!
You couldn't of said it better. my thoughts exactly...

Upvote 0

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
It's shaped like a hatchet, but it is so thin there is no place for a handle, except if the wood was split and the head placed in it. Perhaps some enterprising person used it that way. Frank ax300.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread