Is this a meteorite? (39.5 gram rock)

orm25

Oct 29, 2012
Australia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Vulcan 360 Pinpointer, Geotech Barracuda Pi, Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Explorer 2, bounty hunter pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this small but quite heavy stone with a magnet. It must have a high content of iron because it sticks to the magnet very strong. Some parts look like they either rusted away or broke off. A sawn face revealed shiny metal. The surface looks smooth (appart from the broken off areas), looks dark brown and if magnified, seem to have some sort of cracks like fusion crust. This stone weighs 39.5 grams and is about 2cm in length. Could this stone possibly be a meteorite?
Pictures at: Is This A Meteorite Photos by dapro1590 | Photobucket

OP
OP
O

orm25

Oct 29, 2012
Australia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Vulcan 360 Pinpointer, Geotech Barracuda Pi, Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Explorer 2, bounty hunter pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually it was found in 1 ton of dirt that was going to be use in gardening. So I dont know where the dirt I got came from. After the rock was washed, it seemed to have this dark browny look when It was placed inbetween All the other rocks.

OP
OP
O

orm25

Oct 29, 2012
Australia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone?

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Your rock has a lot of resemblance to a meteorite from the pictures. Question? If I received a load of dirt and found a gold nugget in it I would really want to know where the dirt came from. Is there anyway to find out.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Try thttp://www.treasurenet.com/forums/meteorites/324524-watch-how-identify-meteorite.htmlhis.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions