Is this a mortar?

Sum585

Greenie
Jan 28, 2017
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi! I noticed this rock in the woods on my property and wonder if it could be a mortar? It has a perfectly circular indentation on the top and when I flipped it over it had a smaller circular indentation on the bottom as well. I know that the Catawba lived in my area. I appreciate any help! Thank you!

unnamed-4.jpg Top of the rock

unnamed-2.jpg Bottom side

unnamed-3.jpg

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being cupped on both sides I would say definite yes.

OP
OP
S

Sum585

Greenie
Jan 28, 2017
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you North or South Carolina? It looks like a mortar to me too. Do you find other artifacts there too?

Thank you all for your feedback! I'm in South Carolina near Lake Wylie. I haven't found anything else yet, except what appears to be an old, barely visible stone wall on our back property line with a large stone pile behind it. I plan to look around the area more and will post if I find anything else!

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for your feedback! I'm in South Carolina near Lake Wylie. I haven't found anything else yet, except what appears to be an old, barely visible stone wall on our back property line with a large stone pile behind it. I plan to look around the area more and will post if I find anything else!
I've got a feeling you are going to find some pretty nice things too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread