Is this a point? Id like to know once and for all.

-=METAL=-

Sep 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this a point? I'd like to know once and for all.

Hello, found this and thought it was debitage, until a couple of guys on the forum told me that it was an arrowhead with some damage. I have a friend who is an accomplished knapper, and he claims that it is just a piece of debitage. He says that the pics I had posted made the piece look like a point. He points to the side that is jagged and darker (pictured in 2, 5, and 6), and does not believe that side was knapped on. He claims that side is the cortex. The side does have kind of a jagged pointed area, which is hard to see from the pics, you can kind see it on the right in the side profile pic(Picture 3). I do see what he means about the pictures making it look like a point, so I am going to include some close up pics. I'd like to get some more opinions. If it is a point, can anyone show examples of a similar one?

20140921_121033.jpg 20140921_121131.jpg 20140921_121151.jpg 20140921_121342.jpg 20140921_121355.jpg 20140921_121757.jpg

Upvote 0

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as I can tell from pics it shows signs of chipping.But I would guess left over debris?Good sign that there should be some stuff in the area.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id say debitage or a broken something. Quartz tends to break allot easier than flint. Most of my quartz pieces I find have damage on them. Very rare for me to find a whole one. Check this one out.......what a tear jerker.

Attachments

• 100_4208.JPG
    100_4208.JPG
    312 KB · Views: 84
OP
OP
-=METAL=-

-=METAL=-

Sep 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id say debitage or a broken something. Quartz tends to break allot easier than flint. Most of my quartz pieces I find have damage on them. Very rare for me to find a whole one. Check this one out.......what a tear jerker.

lol That is a heart breaker but I'd still be excited to find it. So in your opinion it's not a small crude point with a broken tip? Not what I wanted to hear :(

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be a mid section I find plenty of those in quartz.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pic #4 looks like a base upside down in your hand. Quartz is so hard to tell from the screen.

OP
OP
-=METAL=-

-=METAL=-

Sep 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pic #4 looks like a base upside down in your hand. Quartz is so hard to tell from the screen.

Yea I figured that was the base because it slenders out as if to be fitted on a shaft. In pic three you can see how it tapers off, you can't tell in that pic but it tapers off until it's completely flat, then it kind of has a belly, and it looks like there was a tip that broke off. But I don't know.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once and for all...it might be. :laughing7:

eastTNJoe

Mar 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
white quartz is so difficult to confirm as worked…I would press it into play dough or silly putty and see what kind of imprint it produces.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I am one of the ones that have previously suggested that it may have been a damaged point (item #12 in a previous post?). These current pictures are much better overall, and I would now be more willing to suggest that it is debitage. It looks like there may have been a couple chips knapped off one side, but it does not look to me upon closer inspection that it was ever a completed point, that then got broken. Not to worry, be persistent and keep looking, and soon you will have many more artifacts to consider, and this one will no longer be of concern to you. HH

OP
OP
-=METAL=-

-=METAL=-

Sep 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend will now be able to give me an "I told you so." Oh well, guess I gotta get back out there.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend will now be able to give me an "I told you so." Oh well, guess I gotta get back out there.

Don't feel bad I went today and found what I call worked flint. It shows reduction pieces removed but not really a finished tool. I find that stuff all the time. So the "point" Im making is not everyday is a great day. HH, rock

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread