IS THIS A PRE COLUMBIAN AZTEC FIGURE BOY/CLOWN WITH BALL? HOW DO I TELL IF REAL?

miamibeachcg

Mar 10, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had this for a couple of years now; I found it at a estate sale of a lady who was downsizing to be able to move into a condo because the house was too big after the death of her husband. Her husband had been a history professor who made numerous trips to Mexico & S. America for work & for fun. This was one of the things he brought back (I got it + a mocha stirrup handle erotic vessel)

What is this that I have? Is there a way to tell if it's original? How old it is?

Thanks, I appreciate any help.
AA ART PRE COLUMBIAN MAN WITH BALL 1 resized.jpg

AA ART PRE COLUMBIAN MAN WITH BALL 2A resized.jpg

AA ART PRE COLUMBIAN MAN WITH BALL 4.jpg

AA ART PRE COLUMBIAN MAN WITH BALL 5A.jpg

AA ART PRE COLUMBIAN MAN WITH BALL 6.jpg

Below is the mocha erotic stirrup vessel I got with the above which makes me think it is real

AA ART PRE COLUMBIAN FERTILITY EFFIGY S. AMERICAN 1 resized.jpg

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly you are probably going to have to get a South American pottery expert to confirm, and even then it's a toss up. It's hard to correctly ID some of this stuff due to the advances in counterfeit operations.

It does look like period work though, didn't know the Moche were big ball players, their cousins to the north Wari or Tiwanacu, even specifically Maya and later Aztec they played ball. TO THE DEATH!!!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

miamibeachcg

Mar 10, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly you are probably going to have to get a South American pottery expert to confirm, and even then it's a toss up. It's hard to correctly ID some of this stuff due to the advances in counterfeit operations.

It does look like period work though, didn't know the Moche were big ball players, their cousins to the north Wari or Tiwanacu, even specifically Maya and later Aztec they played ball. TO THE DEATH!!!!!

I'm not saying the figure with ball is mocha! I believe it is Aztec from his face - I'm saying because I got both from a glass case that showcased the professor's best? most liked? pieces, and because the mocha erotic vessel is real, makes me hopeful the Maya/Aztec ball player piece is real.

GREAT info though - if it is Maya or Aztec then a figure playing with a ball makes sense? Did they have clowns/performers back then? Or is it suppose to be a ball player like you said they played (TO THE DEATH!!! lol)
Thanks!

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I dont know anything about these but usually someone returns from a recent trip to South America all excited about the item they just purchased off the street corner lol. And we get Spanish "shipwreck treasure" rip offs here as well. Your find has a much better possibility of being authentic.

Elderly people in Miami have treasure in their homes and they often toss it in the trash or donate to Goodwill and there is no telling what you may find.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

miamibeachcg

Mar 10, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it turns out to be authentic, any idea what it's worth? I've never seen anything like it.
Any suggestions where to take it to get someone who would know to look at it? (in S Fla area of course)
Thanks

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
If it turns out to be authentic, any idea what it's worth? I've never seen anything like it.
Any suggestions where to take it to get someone who would know to look at it? (in S Fla area of course)
Thanks

We used to have a member from Colombia that was knowledgeable with this stuff. He was also very knowledgeable about the cons being pulled on unsuspecting American tourists and he shared his insight. I dont know if he still follows TN.

Upvote 0

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just about all the effigies almost had a comical dia de los muertes kind of feel to them. If interested take a look at other Moche stuff, a whole death sacrifice cult was present there (that might explain the stake through both the participants, or it was a game piece like modern ring toss. Also there is a book dealing with just the erotica pieces of Moche art, they get very very graphic. Also I've heard stories of the entire loosing team after a ball match were sacrificed, and even the winning team getting sacrificed as well.

Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
i have seen a lot of that stuff on this site but yours is the only ones I have seen that are not obvious tourist pieces. I will tell you what I have told others and also done myself....contact the national museum in Lima for the Moche piece and the one in Mexico city for the other. These folks are very helpful and knowledgeable. Others will tell you not to, but as long as these were collected honestly there is no problem.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread