is this a real?

The Bulgarian

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
South Florida east coast.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
In the water Aquasound ,back up Aquasound,Fisher cz20,Minelab Excalibur 15 inch wot coil .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_0006b.JPG
    IMG_0006b.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 613
  • IMG_0007b.JPG
    IMG_0007b.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 597
  • IMG_0002b.JPG
    IMG_0002b.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 595

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow...is it gold or silver?...sometimes the ambient light makes silver things look gold. Even if it's fake, it's got a lot of value just because of the weight. WTG!

HH!
TBGO

OP
OP
The Bulgarian

The Bulgarian

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
South Florida east coast.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
In the water Aquasound ,back up Aquasound,Fisher cz20,Minelab Excalibur 15 inch wot coil .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's a yellow color.

Attachments

• IMG_0005b.JPG
    IMG_0005b.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 593

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Something looks funny about it to me. Seems the edge is smooth and the middle has crisp detail. Doesn't seem worn like an authentic gold coin. May be a counterfeit, but the gold may be real.

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought one just like it for my son at the beach.........Pirate Teasure Gold the sign said........it's fake but cool.
By the way my son lost his.........ha..ha........someones going to freak when they find it!!!

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
I do not know if it is real, but please change the video that goes with your name !!

Mariner

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Or was he talkin bout the fat chick? It was kinda hypnotic.............in a sick sort of way. :o

I hope that the REALE deal Bulg! Hopefuly someone can verify it for you here! Either way its a very cool find! ;D

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not even a good fake..........
But, I bet you looked twice at it.
Shame..............

Trez

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
My oldest son had fun planting these in my path while we were detecting at Corrigans back in 2004. I didn't know he had purchased one or two at the McClarty Museum and he would act like he was digging a hit and plant it. The first time he did it, I about jumped out of my pants! Not Cool!

This one is different, but I am sure would make us all look twice if it ended up in our scoops!

Good Luck,

Robert in SC

zootman

Feb 1, 2006
Hunterdon County, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites, M6, Classic III, 5900 DI Pro Plus
It might be a fake only an expert can tell, but, it isnt the same as the Ebay coin. Not even close. No disrespect to the people here but you cant judge a coin from a picture! Try sending a picture to a grading service or an appraiser, if they are legit they,ll tell you they have to see the coin. Try Dan Sedwick, hes good and been in the cob bussiness for a long time.
Zootman

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
PBK said:
An exciting find but, unfortunately, not an authentic one. Here's an identical example on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Piece-of-Eight-Pirate-Gold-8-Escudo-Doubloon-Replica_W0QQitemZ160011489272

Agreed also, EXACT!

Nice exciting find anyway Bulgarian!

I went through a similar thing a couple weeks ago finding a 1780 replica large gold coin.

This hobby is packed with ups and downs, but just like life, the downs seem to be more memorable for some reason.

Here's hoping your next one is the reale thing!

Smiles!
BDoo

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please leave Sedwick out of this one......
you contradicted yourself Zootman......
"you can't judge a coin from a picture" you say......
but, then you say..."try sending a picture" to a grading service or appraiser...
Which is it?
I will agree some coins, need real close examination to determine authenticity.....but in this case, a picture speaks a thousands words.....and they all begin with the letter F.

Cheers,
Trez

zootman said:
It might be a fake only an expert can tell, but, it isnt the same as the Ebay coin. Not even close. No disrespect to the people here but you cant judge a coin from a picture! Try sending a picture to a grading service or an appraiser, if they are legit they,ll tell you they have to see the coin. Try Dan Sedwick, hes good and been in the cob bussiness for a long time.
Zootman

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
by the way, Still a Very Cool Find in my opinion Bulgarian.

It's probably as rare to find a Replica out in the Field.

Congrats !
jeff

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
zootman said:
Zootman

I would like to see the appraisers face , when he was sent that toy coin!!! I saw the whole display at the Toy Store......in Emerald Isle, NC.........they make various sizes, silver, gold.........and different die-like strikes. Also you can buy a board game to play..........I thinks the real gold treasure was in the idea!!!!!!

zootman

Feb 1, 2006
Hunterdon County, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites, M6, Classic III, 5900 DI Pro Plus
As to the Ebay coin, look at the top of the obverese of the Bulgarians coin and compare it to the Ebay coin! Not the same as a matter of fact the wear pattern on the cross is completly different! And Trez what Im trying to say in the post is NO LEGIT APPRASIER OR GRADER WILL JUDGE A COIN BY A PICTURE. If you like I,ll post a pic of a number of cobs if you like and I would like to see who can identify a fake from a real one by the picture!
Zootman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread