Is this a Roller / Rolliing Pestle?

post50

Tenderfoot
Jul 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some guys on the "Today's Find" thread suggested I post here. I found what I believe to be a rolling pestle but figured this board could better identify it. I wish I could say I found this along the St. Johns River in Jacksonville FL but I can't. It was actually found at a local thrift store...

It is made of rough porous rock/stone and is about 15" long. One end is very well rounded. The circumference is not completely round. There are two horizontal areas that are subtly flat so the item doesn't roll when placed on a small incline. The stone weighs about 8 pounds. If more photos are needed, please let me know I will upload them

Any thoughts?

IMG_6443.JPG

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need more pictures from several different angles, but it does look like it's been pecked so it very well could be

OP
OP
P

post50

Tenderfoot
Jul 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies! I took some photos in better lighting with different angles. I am a TOTAL newbie so forgive my ignorance with terminology, but what do you mean by "it's been pecked"?

If this is a pestle, are they pretty common (easy to find) in the artifact world?

FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender[1].jpg FullSizeRender[2].jpg FullSizeRender[3].jpg

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No they are a tough find in my area. I have found one broke in half but never a whole one. Value is a tough call for me

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pecked means it was tapped on by another stone tool which is common with items such as yours. It does look to be a roller type pestle/ginder that has suffered some damage and possibly discarded. You can see the work marks are not consistent in the breaks or so it appears in the photo. Big question will be where it came from. If it is a roller/ pestle where did the stone come from and what culture. It is like a puzzle for more knowledgeable people that I.
Welcome to artifacts! :hello:

OP
OP
P

post50

Tenderfoot
Jul 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the responses! Although it was not found in nature but rather in a store in Jacksonville FL, it might have belonged to the Timacua Indians that were indigenous to that area...but I suppose it could be from anywhere and possibly not even Native American.

Tnmountains wrote: "where did the stone come from and what culture?" Now that is a question that boggles my mind and am amazed there are people that can actually have the brains or knowledge to be able to date and/or place a geographical location to these artifacts.

I am fascinated by this message board and the treasures people have unearthed in nature.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could have come from your area it could also be from well before the Timacua tribe was recognized.
The material looks like basalt and the closest available outcrop to that area would be in northwest Georgia.
That's very feasible considering artifacts of that material have been found as far south as Miami Florida and I have personally found artifacts made from it on the south central coast of Florida

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The overall texture, esp. as shown in the second photo where damaged, resembles sandstone. Basalt is a very fine grain igneous rock, and normally would not be that large grained on the interior. This photo shows the interior of a basalt adze. While it is a fresh break, it is extremely fine grained. Which basalt is. The grain in the pestle looks like sandstone, which is a more common choice for roller pestles overall.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 86
OP
OP
P

post50

Tenderfoot
Jul 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any ideas of possible value in a collectors market?

OP
OP
P

post50

Tenderfoot
Jul 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a private question if I am looking to sell something. ;)

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well its easy to research google it

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much did you pay for it?
He's asking you that because pretty much what you paid for it is what it's worth. Not a breakthrough archeaological discovery, and it's documented provenance is a retail store.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of charter members those guys are allowed to sell items on treasurenet

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post50 please read our rules and post by them, no insults or attacks....There was nothing wrong with RGinn's post, certainly no call for the response given.....

Since item was found in a retail store and has zero providence the value will be low to knowledgeable buyers unless it is papered by a highly reputable source....

http://www.treasurenet.com/index.php?pageid=rules

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread