fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this rock 4 or 5 years ago at a known Indian village site east of Columbus, Ga. I just found it again tonight. It was right where I put it, in the last place I had to look. It is very polished on the thin edges and smooth on both sides. If you look closely you can see wear on the edges. It is also translucent.
This was the only rock of this type to come from this site that I know of. My friends that hunt with don't have any and haven't seen any.
Is it a Native American tool of some sort, maybe used on hides or, as one of my friends suggested it may have been used to knap points.
Either way it was used I will
20231124_230533.jpg
20231124_230556.jpg
20231124_232307.jpg
241996732_10215983904790860_8768285831986190575_na.jpg
be glad to add it to my frame.

Upvote 7

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first impression was natural but on second look, I saw those sharp edges from the flat top to the rounded edges. I can’t think of a process that would round an edge that much while leaving a noticeable angle around the flat face… maybe it is something but I wouldn’t know what, seems small if they were grinding, maybe it was going to be some kind of gorget or accessory but they gave up on it

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies and thoughts on this piece. I picked it up because there are no rocks in this field, other than flint. It is a known village. While it may be just a rock I like it and it will go in the frame with the other finds from this site.

magua

Sep 18, 2022
I'd keep it. It looks like a tumbled rock. Nice smooth edges...that shine through it...It's nice. If found in an area with NA lithics, who knows...someone might've picked it up because it was "different" and kept it.

A friend in Wisconsin found an arrowhead once in his grandfather's belongings that had a design engraved on it. It was checked, verified by a local historian/archaeologist and came back as believed to have been made in the late 1700s or early 1800s, and based on the shifting population and forced re-population at that time, in that area...it was probably traded to white man with other items they began to make. The etching and design work is amazing. The historian said, "now they're just showing off". In that same collection were multiple polished gemstones/minerals that were also obtained from the same source per documents. So yea...they must've favored some items and kept them for themselves.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know those old guys were just like us, if they saw a cool rock they would also pick it up. I've seen an example from a medicine bag of a rock shaped naturally like a buffalo. This could be an example of that. Looks like it would be useful for smoothing pottery.

Dec 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this rock 4 or 5 years ago at a known Indian village site east of Columbus, Ga. I just found it again tonight. It was right where I put it, in the last place I had to look. It is very polished on the thin edges and smooth on both sides. If you look closely you can see wear on the edges. It is also translucent.
This was the only rock of this type to come from this site that I know of. My friends that hunt with don't have any and haven't seen any.
Is it a Native American tool of some sort, maybe used on hides or, as one of my friends suggested it may have been used to knap points.
Either way it was used I will View attachment 2116932 View attachment 2116933 View attachment 2116934 View attachment 2116935 be glad to add it to my frame.
I could be a knaping stone for finer details.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions