IS this an error coin or something else?

firecrest789

Oct 21, 2007
Rome, NY
Detector(s) used
Lone star

Attachments

• 1971ring.jpg
    1971ring.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 342

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That mark is from being on the end of a machine wrapped roll. When the machine crimps the ends of the rolls, sometimes it hits the coin on the end and makes a circular mark on it. It's damage. Spend the half, it's not worth anything more than 50 cents.

Scott

PanManStan

Mar 5, 2007
Milwaukee
Yes, srcdco is somewhat correct. This defect is referred to as a "Newman". It is indeed caused by the machining of wrapped coins. When you first see the coin you think "eww, eww, possible error". Then you realize it's but a dud. Much like the "Seinfeld" character "Newman", you are disgusted to see it.

"Hello Newman".

On a lighter note, I believe it is worth more than $.5. Last I heard, Wayne Knight was paying $.52 for 'em.

Stan

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
PanManStan said:
Yes, srcdco is somewhat correct. This defect is referred to as a "Newman". It is indeed caused by the machining of wrapped coins. When you first see the coin you think "eww, eww, possible error". Then you realize it's but a dud. Much like the "Seinfeld" character "Newman", you are disgusted to see it.

"Hello Newman".

On a lighter note, I believe it is worth more than $.5. Last I heard, Wayne Knight was paying $.52 for 'em.

Stan

hahaha nice analogy!! :D

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
I don't know much about coins, or errors, but I have one question,,,
If the damage was done to the coin while being rolled, why is none of the script on the coin effected by it? It seems to me that the damage would have had to of been done before the coin was struck ???

Fred (S.Indiana)

Apr 8, 2007
Evansville
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Explain this coins condition to me............

Yeah, I agree that is from a coin sorter or a machine wrapping devise, but I would like your opinion of this error? on this dime, everyone I've shown this to seems to feel it happened during striking, but nobody can determine what kind of error, what do you think............

Attachments

• 12-21-1.jpg
    12-21-1.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 313
  • 12-21-2.jpg
    12-21-2.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 312
  • 12-21-1.jpg
    12-21-1.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 334
  • 12-21-2.jpg
    12-21-2.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 324

PanManStan

Mar 5, 2007
Milwaukee
Leon said:
If the damage was done to the coin while being rolled, why is none of the script on the coin effected by it? It seems to me that the damage would have had to of been done before the coin was struck ???

Coins are rolled, re-rolled, rolled again, then some guy rolls them, etc, etc............

These darn things are rolled hundreds, if not thousands of times in the due course of their lives by anyone who can cash them puppies in. That's how you get those dang-um "Newmans"

Stan

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leon said:

If you look at one of those under a magnifying glass you will see the lettering and numbers have been damanged.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread