Is this an error?

sportinwood

Dec 7, 2010
Hello Everyone

I’ll start by introducing myself before I ask for help LOL…

My name is Ryan. I have been metal detecting and collecting coins for about 23 years now and have found some very nice stuff over the years. I started when I was about ten when my dad got into it. We have had a great time and made a ton of fond memories hunting together. We live in Utah and usually hunt old houses and such that have been torn down.

Now a short story about this Quarter.

This happens to be the very first quarter that I had found silver OR clad. It was directly followed by a 1924 s standing quarter, a common date barber dime (can’t remember the date), and a buffalo nickel all from the same hole. Needless to say I was an extremely exited little kid having found all this stuff within the first couple of times out and I was/still am hooked. This 1926 s Standing quarter I believe is in AU50 if not MS63 condition. When I found it I was hunting a little old ladies yard in Ogden Utah. My dad was in the yard and I was doing the parking strip. I hit a good quarter signal with my Bounty Hunter (Big Bud) and canceled out the top 3” of depth (The only depth indicator this machine is capable of). The signal was still there. I knew It needed to be dug so to work I went. After about 4” up rolled the most beautiful thing I’d ever seen in my life. It was this quarter as shiny and pretty as it was the day it was lost. I must have let out a yelp the whole neighborhood heard because I was surrounded by people before I could stand up to see what the big deal was. The little old lady who owned the house took the quarter from me directly in the house (With permission from my dad) and gently washed the dirt off and wrapped it in some toilet paper for the safe trip home. After she returned the quarter to me and all the neighbors left the scene my dad told me to check the hole. I did and again another yelp it was the second quarter. I went over the hole and yup another great signal. I fluffed the dirt and the Barber dime rolled out (another first). Then the Buffalo nickel (yet another first). I was in Hogg heaven and you can probably guess I worked the crap out of that parking strip but only found a few more wheaties.

A few days ago I was in a local coin store and seen a 1926 s standing quarter in the case just like mine. It was marked MS63 and had a price tag on it of $750. This got me a little excided so I went home and pulled mine out to look at it that’s when I noticed something strange on the reverse side. I have never seen this on any other standing quarter before which leads me to believe it is a mint error.

It has a quite distinctive extra feather on the eagles’ right hand wing tip (our left) and another faint one a little further down the wing. The spot’s in question are circled in red. I have scoured the internet for this or something close to it but found nothing.

So What do you Guys/Gals think?
Is this a mint error coin?
If so is it a commonly known error or a never before seen error?
What condition would you grade it at?
Would this error (if that’s what it is) make it worth more and how much more?

All comments are very welcome!!

Thanks in advance.
Ryan

OP
OP
S

sportinwood

Dec 7, 2010
Heres the reverse.

Attachments

• DSC00257.JPG
    DSC00257.JPG
    198.4 KB · Views: 412
OP
OP
S

sportinwood

Dec 7, 2010
creeper71 said:
there looks to be 2 die cracks 1 st is first 3 stars on our left 2nd is from the Q to R in quarter

Thanks for looking

Ill have to look at that again. I didn't' even notice that till you said something. Now I can see it on the pics. Its amazing what a good camera can do HaHaHa.. Can you see the extra feather?

iceman0xh

Dec 22, 2009
The extra feather to me looks like it could be a clash from libertys dress....nice coin

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Very nice Ryan........not sure what the "extra feather" is all about, lots of funny things can happen to coins and coin dies but I don't think it is an error of any significance.

Your real value is definitely in the coin itself........an easy MS-60 all day long. :icon_thumleft:

HH all!

Greg

OP
OP
S

sportinwood

Dec 7, 2010
Thanks for your replies. I posted this on another forum and theyalso said it looked like a die clash. i was just curious what it was. the sentimental value means more than the monetary value but its nice to know the monetary value anyway. Do you guys think it would be worth sending to be graded slabbed??

OP
OP
S

sportinwood

Dec 7, 2010
Ok I just looked at this again under a loop and I am convinced it is a die clash giving the appearance of an extra feather. The triangular area of the liberty's dress and leg match up perfectly. Is this something worth noting if I do send it in for grading??

Attachments

• DSC00259.JPG
    DSC00259.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 330

KJW

Dec 8, 2010
The "Extra Wing" is probably a "Die Clash" or sometimes referred to as "Clashed Dies". This is a form of error and is collected in some cases. I would guess your clash might help in determing a variety, but I do not know myself because I have not studied the Standing Liberty Quarter series yet. I can explain a little about die clashes though.

The links below are examples of a "Clashed Dies" coins.

The first link below is of a Clashed E variety. The "E" from LIBERTY on the obverse die is transfered to the reverse die. When a coin is produced with the clashed dies you get a coin that looks like the one below.

The mint would fix the die by polishing it on filing sometimes to remove any letters and unwanted clash marks. The dies were only used for a short time and then replaced with new ones. Clashing did not happen on all the dies and the dies had to be rotated just right when they clashed to create the clashed E on the reverse. Finding a Clashed "E" on the Reverse of a Morgan Dollar is one of the best things you can find. A more common clash on a Morgan Dollar would be an N or T clash on the obv. I will add a link to a picture of those below the other link.

http://www.vamworld.com/1891-O+VAM-1A (Clashed E on reverse)

http://www.vamworld.com/1886-O+VAM-1A (Clashed E on reverse)

http://www.vamworld.com/1898-O+VAM-4A (Clashed N on obverse)

http://www.vamworld.com/1878-P+VAM-14.4A (Clashed T on obverse)

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
First: SWEET COINS! Congratulations! Standing Liberty with nearly full chain mail is VERY rare, and always pretty to see in a collection.

I agree with the 2 die cracks reverse.

An excellent coin that will fill nicely in a quality collection. I'm not sure I'd go as high as MS60, though: probably AU58, as several minor scratches on surface. Higher quality coins almost have to be seen in person for an accurate grade, so I rather hope I'm wrong.

This was the FIRST coin you found!?! WHAT LUCK!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread