Is this anything to anyone?

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2000 D dime. There is a noticeable difference in luster inside of the first zero - the top 2/3 of the inside space has a duller sheen, and the lower 2/3 has a shinier one. To the naked eye, this almost makes it look like an 8 or a 9 at first glance. It doesn't seem like this could have happened from normal circulation wear, so I'm wondering if it is some sort of a minting glitch, and whether anyone ever pays a premium for this sort of thing. I doubt it, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Hopefully the pictures are decent enough for you to see what I'm talking about. I used a cheap digital camera and a cheap LED loupe to take the close-ups.

DSC09506.JPG DSC09499.JPG DSC09501.JPG

Upvote 0

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmm..luster missing inside the zero?

Sounds like someone needs more chores to do at home.

:) - - - on a numismatic note - I have not seen nor heard of an error like this. And it does not perk my attention. This is my opinion as an amateur Coin Collector.

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmm..luster missing inside the zero?

Sounds like someone needs more chores to do at home.

:) - - - on a numismatic note - I have not seen nor heard of an error like this. And it does not perk my attention. This is my opinion as an amateur Coin Collector.

I certainly didn't go out of my way to look for it. It seriously looked like I'd found a 2800 dime at first glance, and that led to a closer look. I agree that it isn't particularly interesting to me, but I've seen a lot of similarly dumb/uninteresting deformities bring in premiums, so I thought I'd at least take a pic.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I certainly didn't go out of my way to look for it. It seriously looked like I'd found a 2800 dime at first glance, and that led to a closer look. I agree that it isn't particularly interesting to me, but I've seen a lot of similarly dumb/uninteresting deformities bring in premiums, so I thought I'd at least take a pic.

You are Right of course .

only way to really know is to Ebay it & see if someone bites :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread