IS THIS COB REAL?

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well.......I really don't feel like getting into this one but will offer this.
you do have a 3 week money back guarantee, that is time to take it to someone who specalizes in Cob coinage and see what they think.
Also, I wouldn't think to much about where it says "Accompanying this coin is a certificate of authenticity" this is another area that breeds ill feelings. Cert's can be made by anyone with a puter and program, and many hold as much value as the paper they are printed on.

Trez

A

americantreasure

dugfinds said:
230055225769 - Look at this ebay number. Real or Fake??

If real I seem to remember someone asking where they could get one.

Seems cheap to me!

Here's a suggestion.

Check online for sites specializing in Spanish cobs. Email them and some (not many) will respond. Ask them if someone would be willing to take a look at a cob and give you their general opinion. Make it clear that you realize this is not a full authenticity examination.

While a picture alone is not enough to do a full attribution, true experts can tell a lot about a cob just from a clear photo(s). It also helps if you can get the exact dimensions and weight of the cob you're considering to buy. If an ebay dealer won't comply you may be wise to look elsewhere.

Some trained and experienced experts love cobs so much they'll even enjoy helping you out. Some will do it once but not respond if you try a second time. They do it once as sort of a business PR thing.

Over the years I've gotten lots of free professional advice.

But, nothing can replace having an expert take the cob in hand and examine it.

It's not possible to fake or make a cob today that's exactly like a real 17th century cob. Some fakes may, to the untrained eye, look genuine, but an expert can always tell the difference. The metal, weight, size, texture, and yes even the smell tell the true story.

I've purchased nearly 100 silver Spanish cobs off ebay in the last couple of years and every single one was genuine. I just make sure I buy from the right sellers.

Alex

Trez

May 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"It's not possible to fake or make a cob today that's exactly like a real 17th century cob. Some fakes may, to the untrained eye, look genuine, but an expert can always tell the difference. The metal, weight, size, texture, and yes even the smell tell the true story."

Alex........that is a scary post "always tell".

Even some of the "experts" some really big names have been had...by cob coinage being made so well that they have been wrong. It is rare...but it happens.
Scary, but true...

Trez

A

americantreasure

Trez said:
"It's not possible to fake or make a cob today that's exactly like a real 17th century cob. Some fakes may, to the untrained eye, look genuine, but an expert can always tell the difference. The metal, weight, size, texture, and yes even the smell tell the true story."

Alex........that is a scary post "always tell".

Even some of the "experts" some really big names have been had...by cob coinage being made so well that they have been wrong. It is rare...but it happens.
Scary, but true...

Trez

There are "experts" and then there are experts.

True early known and studied cobs have a distinct aged metal alloy that's like a fingerprint and it can not be copied to absolute perfection.

Years ago a team of "experts" decided a group of "ancient" pottery pieces were genuine. Then a second group of experts with superior experience, equipment, and knowledge, determined they were all fakes.

Those who really know what they're doing can tell the difference. The trouble we have today is everyone who once packed dishes for Sotheby's thinks he's an expert.

Alex

Trez

May 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alex,
Did you happen to purchase any Mexico OMP cobs from ebay? 1650's
Just curious, if so...can you post a few?

Trez

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread