Is this flour gold perhaps?

Nuggetbrain

Mar 9, 2015
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey all. I get what a nugget is, I guess a picker is smaller then a nugget but you would be able to pick it up with your fingers.
A flake is.... well a flake. Need a tweezers I suppose.

But flour gold? Tiny, tiny, tiny like flour you cook with, yes? I panned some dirt I dug up from a dry creek and along with
the black sand are some very sparkly, shiny, mini fragments. I have enclosed a pic but not sure if you can tell anything
from it. Is that what flour gold is? Many thanks.

Tim

flour.JPG

Upvote 0

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No answer on your picture, my monitor sucks and a cat peed on it last year.

Get some type of a magnifier.. I've got some of these little 60x currency microscopes, just search ebay.. About $3 out of China
if you want to wait, $7 or $8 and you'll have it in a few days.. Get a few, they aren't exactly the highest quality, and your friends
will all want one...

I know there are better tools, but those are cheap and I don't get mad when I toss one in the wash.. Because we all carry around
little microscopes to check out every rock we find in a parking lot.. Don't we???

Once you know what gold looks like, the microscope just makes it prettier, and will allow you to see stuff that you CAN NOT see
with the naked eye.. If there is a question with your naked eye, magnification takes all the questions out... The little stuff under
magnification looks like the pretty big nuggets that you see pics of.

I'm getting 4-6 pieces of TINY pieces of gold out of almost every teaspoon in my driveway.. I didn't know that was even there until I started
magnifying. On the other hand the place I've found the most gold doesn't have any of that itty bitty microscopic stuff.

yodi

Mar 24, 2015
NE Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master / Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Look at it in the light then in the shade gold looks the same in both lights. Gold doesn't shine or glimmer in the light.

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it looks like really small black sand and gold. as bobw said get yourself a loupe 40 or 60 usually work. I like the ones with a light in them makes it allot easier to see. look at it through them it's yhe only way to tell for sure. if you want to get it out you'll need screens 50 and 100 mesh then just work it around. Rule 1 when finishing, make sure the gold is the heaviest thing in your pan. if you still can't get it then you may want to get 150 200 even maybe a 300 mesh screen. I've got allot of really ultra fine gold where I'm at so there needed. but the best thing I've found is just save up all your black sands and then at the end of the year in the winter you can sit and rerun all that through the screens and sit and do your finishing. buy then you'll be surprised at how much gold youve got

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
Yeah its a little hard to tell from the picture , Im not sure I see anything. As long as you are panning correctly your flour gold should show up right at the edge where the bottom of the pan meets the side. If there are more than a few pieces it will make a line right there.....though it does sometimes show up a little higher into the black sand you should be able to easily wash the black sand away from where it is sitting. If you are gently washing the black sand back away to reveal any gold there the gold will usually stay put and not move much if any at all as the black sand moves away from it. This tells you that the gold is the heaviest particle in there , for its size its still heavier than the black sand of similar size. If the suspected gold moves around a lot and dont want to stay put then it usually isnt gold. Shade the suspected gold with your hand to block direct sunlight and if its gold it will still look bright , but if it were something else it will dull in the shade. Things like mica or pyrite ( fools gold ) have to reflect direct sunlight in order to have the bright gold color but gold will still have that bright gold look even in the shade. After you have successfully found flour gold a few times you get to where you can spot it right away.

Last edited:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey all. I get what a nugget is, I guess a picker is smaller then a nugget but you would be able to pick it up with your fingers.
A flake is.... well a flake. Need a tweezers I suppose.

But flour gold? Tiny, tiny, tiny like flour you cook with, yes? I panned some dirt I dug up from a dry creek and along with
the black sand are some very sparkly, shiny, mini fragments. I have enclosed a pic but not sure if you can tell anything
from it. Is that what flour gold is? Many thanks.

Tim

View attachment 1136285

It does look like it but in a photo like that it can be hard to tell. Why not use the backwash and tap method to concentrate the gold (at least I hope it is) and get a crescent at the top of your pan. The backwash and tap starts at 2:12 below:

OP
OP
N

Nuggetbrain

Mar 9, 2015
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ahhhhh good idea! I have a lot more of that original dirt where I got the black sand and the ...maybe.... flour gold...... I will give this a try! Thanks.

Tim

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that is gold, wow it is about useless as it hurts my eyes it is so small

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big gold is pretty but rare. The small stuff pays the bills!

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
This is flour gold.... Sorry about the crappy pics, took them with my cell and a 10x loupe.
This is -100 mesh by the way.....

2015-04-19 16.53.13.jpg 2015-04-22 17.35.40.jpg 2015-04-22 17.37.03.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread