Is this for real?

omegared31

Mar 12, 2015
Temperance, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey gang just a quick question. My stepson brought this home from work today, he works at a hardware store and this was in the register. From what we can tell its a 1861 union token from the civil war. Its the size of a penny and really cool looking. Just wondering if anyone has any more inform on it. I have read some things about it on google but have no clue if it is rare or not. Any information would be great thanks.

Attachments

• 20170110_011007.jpg
    20170110_011007.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 152
  • 20170110_011051.jpg
    20170110_011051.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 133
Upvote 0
If it were a fake, it would be even better!

Nice find.

Upvote 0
some moron probably spent some of his Dads collection. great save!

Upvote 0
If it is real it is very rare. There is not one shown in the "Official Red Book" otherwise known as "A Guide Book of United States Tokens and Medals". And, the only one I could find online is the one posted by vpnavy and it is for sale with no historical reference. It would seem to me that if it were real there would be more examples of it to be found. Or, maybe I didn't look in the right places for it.
I hope I can be proven wrong and it turns out to be the real deal.

Upvote 0
I hear ya. I've been looking for a cpl of days now and can't find squat on it besides eBay. Not sure where to look next.

Upvote 0
Yeah it looks real. They made multiple types of these. While uncommon, there are surprisingly many of these and most dealers have a couple. In this condition it's likely to be worth around $30 but a dealer will only pay around $10. They don't shoot up in price unless they're uncirculated

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back