Is this fossilized poop (coprolite)?

Alberto

Jun 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I was in the desert in Southern California, I found a strange looking rock that stood out from the rest. It's roundish, egg shaped, and dark with a shine exterior. So, might it be a coprolite?

10488362_561157200678068_6682797209060119068_n.jpg10330329_561157177344737_1843368935409840830_n.jpg10486570_561157154011406_155717569951015944_n.jpg10459926_561157107344744_8436688501324743035_n.jpg

It very well could be...if it contains phosphates... Fertilizer has been made from coprolites and sulfuric acid...

First, welcome to the site..:hello: Don't know if it is but I do have some that I got from old digger and it looks like this....

DSCN4282.JPG

Nothing about the shape of the object indicates coprolite. You might have to section it to look for bits of plant debris or bone fragments. My best guess is that it's a stream-rounded pebble.
coproliteB.JPG coproliteCatA.JPG coproliteSharkBoneValleyB.JPG

I have read that it can be hard to tell some from eggs... These look egg like... They also resemble elk turds only much larger... There are as many different kinds of scat as animals...

I have read that it can be hard to tell some from eggs... These look egg like... They also resemble elk turds only much larger... There are as many different kinds of scat as animals...

Elk coprolite, egg, or stream-rounded pebble? What are the probabilities? The shape is not dispositive in any case.

Sure it has a low probabability and looks like a pebble (as do some caprolites), perhaps as low as trying to Identify what animal made a particular one...
Perhaps it is even a gastrolith!

Last edited:
I repeat, shape of this object is not dispositive . . . there are too many possibilities beyond the probable identification as a stream-rounded pebble.

Shape is dispositive in some cases, like the examples I posted (the first example is a 'gator coprolite).

Calm down Harry, I ain't sayin you don't know your sh** :laughing7:

That material was eroded from ancient lava flows.. I suspect yours probably was as well way back when the desert was the seafloor.
Ain't that some poop

Well I have no idea what it is or isn't but it does bring up something I found a few years ago. I thought this was a dinosaur egg but nobody ever told me for sure.... Any guesses here????

Attachments

• Egg 3.JPG
    Egg 3.JPG
    620.2 KB · Views: 195
  • Egg 4.JPG
    Egg 4.JPG
    714.1 KB · Views: 163
Nope not a different screen name, same one I've has since joining this forum 6+ years ago and thank you to GatorBoy for helping to prove my point.

All here know our rules.......Insults and attacks on members will not be tolerated....

Gentlemen, post by TN rules or you WILL take a vacation, your choice.......

Last edited:
No not just about a piece of dinosaur crap. Its about civility and respect for others which despite his vast knowledge Harry has shown yet again he lacks.
Bill, you couldn't miss my warning and RiverRat's warning, it is immediately above your post.

If someone breaks TN rules report it.

Please end it before a moderator steps in and ends it......

While I was in the desert in Southern California, I found a strange looking rock that stood out from the rest. It's roundish, egg shaped, and dark with a shine exterior. So, might it be a coprolite?

View attachment 1015077View attachment 1015078View attachment 1015079View attachment 1015080

First of all, Welcome to TNET! :hello:

I really do not believe your item is a coprolite. I believe your sample is weathered basalt and when looking at your second and last photos, I can see a fine line of quartz.

P.S. By the way, somewhere out in the California desert there is a story about black nuggets of gold laying on the surface of the ground near an ancient volcano cone. It is said that these nuggets are not your typical shiny nuggets, but are black. So it doesn't hurt to check any of those peculiar black rocks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back