Is this gold???

Davidail

Nov 3, 2012
North FL and North GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Metal Detector with 5" coil making it the AT gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brought back these rocks from my trip last week to North Georgia, Got them from the creek I've been working. I am finding Gold in this creek using my Super Mini Bazooka and these rocks are among a few rocks I found which appear to have gold in them. Is this gold? and how can I test it? The smaller rock I am holding is heavier than most rocks the same size. Thanks David

photo(18).JPG photo(19).JPG photo(21).JPG

Phanntom

Oct 21, 2012
Retired and traveling
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di Pro SL
Whites Goldmaster II vSat
Whites Prizim 6T
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's always hard to tell from a photo, but sure looks like gold to me.

OP
OP
D

Davidail

Nov 3, 2012
North FL and North GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been looking at numerous photo's of rock to try and get an idea. Guess I can always crush the rock and go from there. The 3rd photo above that rock is as big as a football and weights about 18lbs. Is there any chemical test you can do on a rock???

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are gold testing kits available on the internet, and sometimes for sale on the MD forums. You could probably also take a smaller specimen to a jewelery store or pawn shop, they always have gold testing equipment.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NO! Don't crush them. Have them checked out by a jeweler. They are worth 2/3 times spot as specimens. The jeweler will know how to weigh the rock to know the amount of gold in it without damage. TTC

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I assure you a jeweler has NO way of telling how much gold is in a rock, but he can easily tell you if it's gold. Gold does have a specific gravity, but gold in nature isn't usually 100%pure so the specific gravity is unknown due to the natural alloy which it is. All stones have different specific gravities, but they are not pure substances either, and specific gravity tests only work on pure specimens, or those of a known ratio of alloyed metal. As far as a football sized rock weighing 18 lbs, there are a lot of rocks that would weigh in that range for that size. Just take to a pawn shop, Jeweler or assay office and end the speculation. I hope it turns out good for you, and then keep your lips sealed about where you found it.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I assure you a jeweler has NO way of telling how much gold is in a rock, but he can easily tell you if it's gold. Gold does have a specific gravity, but gold in nature isn't usually 100%pure so the specific gravity is unknown due to the natural alloy which it is. All stones have different specific gravities, but they are not pure substances either, and specific gravity tests only work on pure specimens, or those of a known ratio of alloyed metal. As far as a football sized rock weighing 18 lbs, there are a lot of rocks that would weigh in that range for that size. Just take to a pawn shop, Jeweler or assay office and end the speculation. I hope it turns out good for you, and then keep your lips sealed about where you found it.
The specific gravity test is the STANDARD in the industry for determining the amount of gold in a rock. Ok, gold/silver combo. But still, no other combos will weigh what the gold will. weight in air, weight in water, a little formula and.... presto. amount of gold. The variables are negligible as far as weight ratios go. TTC

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The specific gravity test is the STANDARD in the industry for determining the amount of gold in a rock. Ok, gold/silver combo. But still, no other combos will weigh what the gold will. weight in air, weight in water, a little formula and.... presto. amount of gold. The variables are negligible as far as weight ratios go. TTC

X 2 - Good post!

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like pyrite, take a close up of the gold color in the first pic. Because the other 2 pics have it shining back at you, this shows that these are pyrite. Gold doesn't reflect. Secondly, the specific gravity test will work on gold in quartz but if the gold is mixed up with other base metals or sometimes different host rock, the test will be totally wrong. Depending on the surrounding rock a specific gravity test will tell you that the interior of the specimen could be solid gold when in fact it is mostly mixed with other unseen minerals and there is no gold. So never depend on a specific gravity test unless you can see that there is only gold and quartz showing. Unless it is a spectacular looking specimen, I would crush it, and these don't look spectacular. The photo below, when we did the test on it came up as almost solid gold through & through, but we could see that it was mixed with mostly host rock. So we broke it open to display what can happen with the specific gravity test. It came up at 1½ of of gold according to the test when in fact is was mostly host rock with very little gold.
DSC00185.jpg

OP
OP
D

Davidail

Nov 3, 2012
North FL and North GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the info I will go see a jeweler

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for all the info I will go see a jeweler

Jeweler my ass . If you don't want to crush it out , just prick around on it and take a good look .
If you can't tell whether it's gold or not by then just quit hunting now .

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like pyrite, take a close up of the gold color in the first pic. Because the other 2 pics have it shining back at you, this shows that these are pyrite. Gold doesn't reflect. Secondly, the specific gravity test will work on gold in quartz but if the gold is mixed up with other base metals or sometimes different host rock, the test will be totally wrong. Depending on the surrounding rock a specific gravity test will tell you that the interior of the specimen could be solid gold when in fact it is mostly mixed with other unseen minerals and there is no gold. So never depend on a specific gravity test unless you can see that there is only gold and quartz showing. Unless it is a spectacular looking specimen, I would crush it, and these don't look spectacular. The photo below, when we did the test on it came up as almost solid gold through & through, but we could see that it was mixed with mostly host rock. So we broke it open to display what can happen with the specific gravity test. It came up at 1½ of of gold according to the test when in fact is was mostly host rock with very little gold.
View attachment 723759

" Secondly, the specific gravity test will work on gold in quartz but if the gold is mixed up with other base metals or sometimes different host rock, the test will be totally wrong. Depending on the surrounding rock a specific gravity test will tell you that the interior of the specimen could be solid gold when in fact it is mostly mixed with other unseen minerals and there is no gold. So never depend on a specific gravity test unless you can see that there is only gold and quartz showing. Unless it is a spectacular looking specimen, I would crush it, and these don't look spectacular. The photo below, when we did the test on it came up as almost solid gold through & through, but we could see that it was mixed with mostly host rock. So we broke it open to display what can happen with the specific gravity test. It came up at 1½ of of gold according to the test when in fact is was mostly host rock with very little gold."

:icon_thumright:

Last edited:

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When trying to sell the gold on rock (specimen) type stuff the number one thing
you have to realize is , that somebody has to WANT IT . And they have to want to
pay what you are willing to take for it . At least that's the way it works in my life .

The really nice pieces are harder to sell than the chips . You can sell a piece the
size of quarter with a little line or a few specks on it ( if it looks good ) that amounts
to about three dollars worth of gold (currently) for twenty bucks ..... and that's a good deal .

When you got a piece that you want over five hundred for .... things get a
little different . I only deal face to face on specimen type stuff . Does that limit my market .?
Damn right it does , but I don't care . If I choose to sell a piece it will be my
way at my price or I'll just keep the damn thing . One thing I have learned
about trying to sell the GOR is that people pay for what they can SEE and
just because you think it's a great piece don't mean other folks do .
Selling the GOR is all about the aesthetics . You need to get a prospective
buyer to see what you see in the piece to get what you want for it .

On the other hand ....... you crush out that gold and clean it up a little .... easy
sell . I have local people that will gobble up the free gold at good prices and
I have even sold some ( 10 ounces ) to a refiner that I heard about on Tnet through
the mail and got a satisfying deal . None of these buyers are interested in spec pieces
unless it is an outstanding specimen .

Anyhow ............... I can only speak to the way it is for me .

Last edited:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold is malleable. You can "deform" it. A needle or knife, push against it and you'll know.
If still uncertain, a piece of unglazed porcelain can be rubbed against the suspect gold, should leave a golden colour on the porcelain.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Brought back these rocks from my trip last week to North Georgia, Got them from the creek I've been working. I am finding Gold in this creek using my Super Mini Bazooka and these rocks are among a few rocks I found which appear to have gold in them. Is this gold? and how can I test it? The smaller rock I am holding is heavier than most rocks the same size. Thanks David

View attachment 723282 View attachment 723283 View attachment 723284

it looks like it might be sericite?hard to tell without an eye glass and hands on. smash n pan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread