vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eating_popcorn_tn_final.gif
I believe you forgot to load the pictures.
killingme.gif

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
The mention of southern Ohio got my attention however. Not far from my home. Send exact GPS coordinates, and I will help you dig. <lol>

Try sliding each sample across the backside of a ceramic tile (the non-glazed side). Black streak = probably iron pyrite.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigjohnnyblue

bigjohnnyblue

May 11, 2013
The mention of southern Ohio got my attention however. Not far from my home. Send exact GPS coordinates, and I will help you dig. <lol>

Try sliding each sample across the backside of a ceramic tile (the non-glazed side). Black streak = probably iron pyrite.

Thanks. I'll try that. Since your close to me I'm assuming you don't live on the moon... Lol

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to tell from a photo, the buttery yellow piece in the lower right looks like gold, it could all be.

Radio Shack sells a little 30x pocket microscope for about 10 bucks that might help. Even the smallest pieces look like big nugs.

Here's some gold from north central Ohio, sniped from a gravel pit. It looks very clean because of the time it spent in the gravel washing machinery.

100_0663.JPG

Good Luck, post some more pics.

OP
OP
bigjohnnyblue

bigjohnnyblue

May 11, 2013
I tried the porcelain test... Some pieces left a black mark and some left no mark at all.

OP
OP
bigjohnnyblue

bigjohnnyblue

May 11, 2013
I took that pic with my phone and a magnifying glass. I haven't been able to get a better one yet. The colors range from copper to yellow and they don't really have much shine when they are out of the direct light, but when I put them in direct light they are very reflective. I'll try to get some better pics.

OP
OP
bigjohnnyblue

bigjohnnyblue

May 11, 2013
Here are some more pics. I'm hoping someone has a strong opinion about what they see....possibly pyrite and gold? I'm an old rock hound but this fever is on a another level. Lol

image-436397235.jpg

image-3690619467.jpg

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Johnny Blue,
In a case where magnification is limited or not possible and with tiny pieces, I would take a piece of Scotch Tape (or similar) and encase one of those pieces in the tape. This would be done with two long ears of tape left on either side of the sample (the tape is folded over the sample in such a way that neither of the 'ears' are sticky. With this done some ability to hold the sample is possible. Then take a smallish hammer and hit the sample. If the sample flattens then it is a malleable metal, if the sample shatters It Ain't Gold! If it flattens then I would remove from the tape and heat the piece with a torch to see if it melts easily. If it melts easy, forms a shiny silver puddle then it likely is lead. The best of success with your Quest!!...........................63bkpkr

OP
OP
bigjohnnyblue

bigjohnnyblue

May 11, 2013
Hi Johnny Blue,
In a case where magnification is limited or not possible and with tiny pieces, I would take a piece of Scotch Tape (or similar) and encase one of those pieces in the tape. This would be done with two long ears of tape left on either side of the sample (the tape is folded over the sample in such a way that neither of the 'ears' are sticky. With this done some ability to hold the sample is possible. Then take a smallish hammer and hit the sample. If the sample flattens then it is a malleable metal, if the sample shatters It Ain't Gold! If it flattens then I would remove from the tape and heat the piece with a torch to see if it melts easily. If it melts easy, forms a shiny silver puddle then it likely is lead. The best of success with your Quest!!...........................63bkpkr

Thanks 63bkpkr. I'm sure it is not gold. I've only spent the last 5 days sampling some of the creeks and streams on the family farm. Here's a question for you or anyone lol. Would you continue at this spot with the heavy metals even though there is very little black sand or go to a spot that produced a lot of black sand with red, pink and purple crystals...thanks again

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being that it's southern Ohio and glacial gold, then sample almost any creek, the closer to bedrock the better.
Black sand and garnet are good indicators that fine glacial gold could also be present.

GG~

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've found gold that color before... Looking at the first picture, I was almost positive it was gold but then after I looked at the others I'm not sure.. I'd do what 63 said and put a torch to it. If it melts really quick then you know its not. Gold can be all sorts of different colors. I've found gold that had a black tint to it. Not sure why it was black..

Last edited:

hannahgodfrey

Apr 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Wow! I really hope they are chunks of gold… however; the pictures do not really speak much. Guess, if you are interested in knowing if it is gold, then you should be walking with them to a gold smith. Good Luck… Remember, all that glitters is not gold!

However, if it IS gold then yipppppe!!! You have hit the jackpot and looking at the gold price chart even a flake of gold will get you a good amount. Oh Boy! Haggle to get a near-spot price of gold."

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigjohnnyblue

bigjohnnyblue

May 11, 2013
Well, I have some new suspects from another creek at my moms place. I'm definitely hooked wether any of it is gold or not!

image-1564221555.jpg

2020hindsite

May 28, 2013
Free
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am just guessing here...
I believe you have pyrite
I have found quite a bit of pyrite here in the Southern Ohio area. I have found some that looks more silver and some that looks gold.
Normally Ohio gold is very small or bigger pieces are usually elongated or flat due to being pounded around for so long by glaciers.
Again I could be wrong but I believe thats what you have.
For some reason Gold found here in Southern ohio is beautiful. It is very bright and yellow and almost unmistakeable.
IF it is pyrite dont get discouraged! I have found that around southern Ohio pyrite is a good indicator gold may be near. Also look for garnet, quartz, and of course black sand.
Its hard to tell from the picture but the boulder looks smooth which is a good indication that it is glacial.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigjohnnyblue

bigjohnnyblue

May 11, 2013
Hey GreenDredge. It's nice to see a fellow buckeye on Tnet. I live about 30 miles north of Cincinnati and I have just recently gotten the fever. I've been sampling a lot of different streams and creeks in the area. What areas do you prospect and how long have you been doing it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread