turtlefoot13

Aug 23, 2009
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi All,

I posted this image on the "What is it" board and was told that I might get some better results here.

I have a late 19th cuntury photograph of a man with a rifle, breakdown shotgun, what looks like a bedroll and a piece of luggage. It has been guessed as a cowboy or hunter going out to hunt or possibly a surveyor. Someone then noticed something behind the man. They said that they thought it looked like it could possibly be a home made rocker. If it is, this would fit into the right time period for the Klondike Gold Rush. I know nothing about vintage prospecting equipment. If anyone could give me any help, I would appreciate it.

Doug

forinspection.jpg

rocker.jpg

OP
OP
turtlefoot13

turtlefoot13

Aug 23, 2009
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
spawn00x said:
Hard to tell by the pic. But it just might be a rocker box...
Thanks,

I appreciate the info. I'm really hoping that I can figure out for sure, one way or the other.

Doug

CharlieBitMe

Greenie
Apr 22, 2010
Hard to tell from the pic. Even if it's a rocker box, it doesn't mean that it was his. I think I see a shovel on his back. I also don't see a horse. If I were a betting man, I'd say he worked on the railroads.

OP
OP
turtlefoot13

turtlefoot13

Aug 23, 2009
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CharlieBitMe said:
Hard to tell from the pic. Even if it's a rocker box, it doesn't mean that it was his. I think I see a shovel on his back. I also don't see a horse. If I were a betting man, I'd say he worked on the railroads.

That would be more likely. There was a lot of railroad activity, including temporary logging lines in Missouri at this time. Thanks for the tip.

Doug

OP
OP
turtlefoot13

turtlefoot13

Aug 23, 2009
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is an old post, but, I just thought I'd tell you what that "Steve McQueen looking" guy has in the second picture.

It's a skinner frame. Usually for animals like beaver. You put the creature on its back in the crossbucks - makes it a much less messy job.

(don't know what he is holding in the first picture).

B

knighthunter

Dec 21, 2009
Winnipeg Manitoba (Unicity)
I don't think it's a rocker box at all. Kinda looks to me like a type of sleigh/wagon for hauling firewood. Even looks like there is some firewood on it.
The guy doesn't look like no prospector either, don't look like a shovel on his back. Whatever it is I think is hanging on the wall behind him. Railroad worker possibly, man waiting for a stagecoach maybe. Seeing as how he seems to have a rifle, could be a market hunter.

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to have the first scan of this photo and I could go in and rebuild it to were we could see it and know what we were looking at.
But I do not think I would find that file.

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Turtlefoot,

Mrs. Oroblanco is the only one who nailed this one. It is a skinner frame. I live in south Texas where there is no gold, yet I have seen several of those in ranches and in the homes of die hard hunters and fur trappers.

Homar P. Olivarez

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread